welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Friday, 29 July 2011

meaningful content

Maybe you've noticed that I am very much interested in making Artist's Books lately. I have already completed three and the fourth is in process. I am trying out different styles and methods, different materials too. I am very passionate about this new love of mine: handmade books with an artistic intention.

My teacher on the subject is Alisa Golden. I don't actually know her, I've never met her (I wish I had) but I bought three books written by her and she instantly became one of my favourite teachers. I like her style. I like the way she thinks. And I love her work.

I follow her blog: Making Handmade Books and each and every one of her posts there sheds new light on the subject, or maybe light from different angles. Unexpected angles too, like when she writes about graffiti. After all, street art also combines words with painting, doesn't it? Her latest post, Content Ideas: Do Sit Down made me feel soooo good!

It's all about taking the time to sit, relax, pay attention to your surroundings and to the feelings they inspire, outdoors, indoors or inside ourselves. Time. A precious element. A wide, deep and all-encompassing dimension. A rare luxury. I hope you'll read her post and I'd love to know what you really think about it. Because the Internet is buzzing with voices and pieces of advice that fill our time with static. Rolls of drums and rolling thunders vibrate through our time online and chase away the more delicate, sensitive dimensions: reflection, sensitivity, awareness. Time to feel and time to think and turn our feelings into images and words.

If I get carried away, I can spend so much time on Etsy (it's just an example) that my day flies by uselessly. Now why did I use such an unpleasant word? Is Etsy useless? Not at all! In fact, I have a shop there! What I mean to say is that the visual distraction of the images on the computer screen can clot our mind instead of opening it up and render our hearts insensitive instead of warming them to real life. We barely have time to hear the singing of the wind, the rhythm of life on the street or the beating of our heart. The softer, subtler things that can become powerful sources of inspiration.

Just some thoughts...

paintafeeling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...