welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Saturday, 7 April 2012

oh, baby baby, it's a white world...

Hello everyone! It's been some time but then you must be getting used to my on-and-off blogging by now. Today I felt like sharing a bit and, if my cat allows it, I'll proceed to do so. (She is seated on my lap and continuously reaches out with her paw to get my hand to carress her! She is purring like an old motorcycle too!)

It's Good Friday today in Spain but I have to work. Remember I used to manage an Exhibition Hall that closed down due to budget restrictions? Well, we opened for Easter. I am at home right now, lunch break, siesta break or whatever. But instead of lunching and napping I felt like saying hello :)

I am pretty sure by now that I will soon be changing quite a few things related to my artistic work. My previous post was about enrolling to an online course on Contemporary Embroidery and I have been browsing the net like crazy lately, looking for textile artists. I found many, and some of them just took my breath away with their creations. Like Elodie Antoine, whose work I saw on I Love Belgium


Elodie uses traditional lace-making techniques to break all the traditional rules and create fantastic industrial-era structures and shapes. I think the tools she used here are called lace bobbins though I may be wrong. Don't hold it against me if I am, ok?


I'd never imagined that I would love some high-voltage towers or nuclear energy plants in my house!

I also made a wonderful discovery on Pinterest: the contemporary textile artworks of Karola Pezarro



A completely different perspective and one that I feel closer to. Artworks that are paintings, embroidery and installations at the same time. The one below even incorporates calligraphy, another form of art that I admire.


So what does the title of this blog entry have to do with anything? It has to do with my almost-obsession with white: white papers, white fabrics, white embroideries, white ink. I am continuously sketching ideas and compositions for future work and it's all white on white. No wonder I fell in love with Karen Ruane's work. She will be teaching the online course on embroidery and her creations are so exquisite!


So, did you think white on white would be very boring? Think again! Even the background is white here and yet the embroidery (on fabric and paper in this case) stands out in all its elegance and beauty.


It's too soon to tell you what my own works will look like. For the time being, the idea is to use fabrics, paper and other materials that may serve my purpose for each composition and create pieces that would  also be embroideries / paintings / sculptures / installations. I even want to use them in my handmade books. My head is full of ideas and for the first time in a long time I'd really, really love to have a workspace separate from my living space. And from my cats!

paintafeeling

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blog! The lacework in particular is so appropriate.I was recently awed by a very creative lace exhibition "Love Lace" in Sydney at the Powerhouse Museum.I thought you might like to check it out. I hope the site gives you some ideas. http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/lovelace/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jack, good to see you here :) Thanks for the link. I just checked it and there are amazing works there. Amazing techniques too: 'Laser-cut wool bodice with machine-knitted copper wire and linen tulle skirt'. I had no idea you can laser-cut wool or machine-knit copper wire! I'm so ignorant on the subject. I'll keep browsing that site now...

      Delete
  2. Glad you found the site. My favourite was a Japanese work that wrapped tiny little sand blasted glass fragments you find on the beach (I've kept a little container of these for 20yrs but never used them)in very fine white thread woven into little individual hanging bags. I hope it's shown in the site.Exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes. you are right about the lace bobbins. i do bobbin lace and was blown away when i saw Elodie's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lace bobbins are also used in traditional Spanish embroidery and I had the opportunity to watch women work with them a couple of times. Their hands moved so quickly I didn't even know what was happening! It's called Encaje de Bolillos - https://www.google.es/search?q=encaje+de+bolillos&hl=es&client=firefox-a&hs=bif&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvnslb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=AZiWT8q6CYLXsgaswPD6DQ&ved=0CGQQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=988&sei=BpiWT4ymNsr0sgal8s3tDQ - and maybe sometime I'll try my hand with them too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...