welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Tuesday, 17 April 2012

shop, on vacation - me, full speed ahead

A couple of days ago I tweeted about closing my Etsy shop temporarily. No sooner said than done. I'm not sure when I'll open it again and, to be sincere, I'm not even sure if I'll open it again.

My Etsy experience has been very contradictory. I enjoy browsing the site and discovering new art and artists/artisans. I have found lots of beautiful and very inspiring creations there. And I really enjoy making treasuries under a certain theme, be it colour, type of work, concept, whatever. But spending my days on Etsy... that I don't enjoy. Having the obligation to check back several times a day, the duty to comply with Teams terms of membership, the requirement to go through my Activity list so I can keep up-to-date with everything and everyone that interests me is just too much for me.

Obligation, duty, requirements... They leave very little space for free time, free thinking and free creation, so I pulled down the blinds for a while.

I, on the other hand, am not on vacation at all. There are several projects ahead and I am looking forward to all of them. Lets see:

1. On Saturday 28 April the Exhibition Hall will open again! I'm very happy about this, because it was such a shame that this beautiful, unique art space remained inactive. We will only open during the weekends but after four months of complete close-down the weekends sound fantastic!


As some of you may remember, the Hall used to be a paper mill and the building dates from the 1700s. It has lots of character and is very warm and welcoming.


This is a view of a broken paper press and of the old (and out-of-use) freight elevator shaft right behind it.

2. I am currently participating in a group exhibition featuring works of many artists living in the county. I wrote about it in an older post. The exhibition runs till Sunday, 29 April. And the next one is already in sight! It will also be a group exhibition with about 12 to 14 participants and we will all create new work around the idea of 'Roots'. That's the title of the exhibition, that will open on Friday 6 July and will run till the end of August. Best months of the year as far as visitors are concerned! We will each participate with 1 or 2 artworks (that still has to be determined) and I am already sketching ideas.

3. My Contemporary Embroidery online course is starting on 1 May! Can you imagine the 'tangle' of roots and threads taking shape in my head? I fully intend to create a mixed media piece incorporating fabrics and embroidery and I am so excited about it! It's as if I had a whole new world in sight.

4. I will soon try my hand with water-soluble oil colours. I've worked with oils before, they are not really my favourite medium, but I am very curious about these water-soluble oils. No turpentine, no pungent smells, no alergies! (I am not allergic to turpentine but many artists are.) I think a commission will come my way soon and I may just use these oils to paint it. It will be slow work, I haven't used oils in ages, but the painting won't be very large so that will make things easier.

5. While I decide what to do with Etsy I will be driving traffic to my blog and my personal website. The latter probably needs some redoing, I'll have to look into it.

Ok, and now I'll stop before I start feeling overwhelmed by the very things that thrill me so much. Thanks for coming by!

paintafeeling

4 comments:

  1. Ersi, this is a most beautiful blog. Soft, gentle, elegant. I'm following so I can find you again. I will email you when I work out the answer to your question re the Art is ...You swap. Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carol and thank you so much for your beautiful words on my blog! I am now glowing like a little firefly. (Ok, a huge firefly :) I am following you too and thanks for looking up the answer for me ♥

      Delete
  2. Ersi, I understand so well how things can overwhelm...I get like that at times. My etsy is very badly neglected, I am surprised anyone even looks at it to be honest. I am so pleased you are excited about class...me too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only nine days to go and I still have to buy some materials. I'm looking forward to the video tomorrow. I read your posts and view embroideries other people upload to Flickr and... I hope I'll be able to create something half as beautiful as that :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...