welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Thursday, 28 June 2012

roots almost in the ground

Usually I bite off more than I can chew. I know that about myself so, every time I start a new project, I know things will not go so smoothly as expected -as could be expected by others, mostly.

Since the beginning of May I have been busy in four different areas: I am translating a book (food for my wallet), I am following Karen Ruane's online courses on Contemporary Embroidery and An Embroiderer's Ledger, I have been working on my piece for the Group Exhibition themed 'Roots' and during the weekends I work in the Exhibition Hall. I am out of breath just talking about it all. But my piece for the Exhibition is at long last almost finished.


This is the main piece, part of which I showed you in previous entries. The upper part is new and so is the addition of the two bleached wooden sticks underneath.


And these are my roots. They will hang from the main piece with white twine and rest on this rustic wooden plank on the floor. The main piece itself will be supported by a backing made with the same wood. I have been very lucky - and I am very grateful - because a friend who makes wood and iron sculptures as a hobby prepared the planks for me. He cut them, sandpapered them, and put them together (the backing is made up by two planks). Thank you, Javier!


Here you can see the individual 'roots'. As I mentioned in my previous entry, I resorted to some of the things I learned in Karen's 'Embroider, Embellish, Create' class and my roots are nothing more and nothing less than Fabric Beads adapted to my purposes here. Some of you will recognize the white French Knots. The chaotic and undisciplined sprouts are made with raffia. I have two of these.

 
Another 'root' of sorts. I like the contrast between the finer, more elegant embroidery stitches and my almost random inventions. These Fabric Beads are quite large, the cotton fabric circle I used to make them measured 15 cms (6 inches) across.


This is the only small 'root', made with a 6 cms (2.4 inches aprox.) cotton circle. Partly improvising stitches again.


While making these fabric roots I repeatedly asked myself why my work leaned to the decorative side. There is no rational answer to that. It does because this is how it insisted on coming out. So I obeyed.

Tomorrow I will finish the whole setup and on Saturday I'll take it to the Exhibition Hall. There I will be able to finally photograph it in its entirety and in a lovely setting, so you can all see it too. There.

paintafeeling

12 comments:

  1. this work is so very beautiful....I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love that you love it. It really means a lot, Karen, thank you!

      Delete
  2. so interesting - i love the tension and harmony created here... color, texture, rustic, refined... it is hard to do this work... for me, these are the pieces that feel like giving birth... i have 2 to complete myself this month... i have to start (i always start something new when i have something i know is waiting to be born - why do we fight it so?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew why we fight it so hard, I really do. I think I know exactly what you mean. Giving birth to something true, something really meaningful to us, can be torture. Mine is a rather simple piece and yet it has taken me weeks to finish. Labour pains... I'm so pleased you like it!

      Delete
  3. a great deal of beauty in these roots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie! I am becoming quite fond of this work, food for future explorations.

      Delete
  4. I really love the main piece - it whispers. And the grouping of fabric roots works really well together - all a bit different, all very tactile! Looking forward to seeing it all installed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, thank you! The fact that the work whispers to you makes me happy, because I think true things usually come out in whispers rather than shouts. I was indeed aiming for something discreet. I will be posting new photos soon.

      Delete
  5. Lovely piece! I especially love the scrolls of paper attached to the sticks. Can't wait to see the whole piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kim, thanks for the comment. I am seriously thinking about hammering some leaves onto my next work :))

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful project! I love the serenity of the main piece, and such a lovely contrast to the more bulbous roots. Lovely surface details - can't wait to see the whole thing put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack, welcome back and thank you for dropping in! I am very pleased you like this work, it's been a long act of balance between the conceptual and the emotional, the somber and the decorative. I'll be posting a new entry soon.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...