welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Friday, 31 August 2012

flag off the loom

My recent blog entries have been close together, usually I'm not so talkative. But frankly, August has been so maddeningly busy that I have taken every little opportunity to blog and share something with you, so I could feel more centered on my things. And I am grateful for your warm response, it has helped me through four consecutive nasty heat waves and other unpleasant moments that are happily over.


Today I would like to present to you (...drumroll...) my loom! My toy loom, to be precise. It was given to me as a gift when I was a child, it came straight from the U.K. and it worked! I remember using it to make scarves and cushion covers. Where are they? I have no idea. Somewhere in Athens, buried in someone's store room or, even more probably, lost forever. I remember my mother explaining the instructions to me, since they are in English and I had some trouble understanding them. It was my mother who bought the loom for me in London and she is probably at least partly responsible for my love for fabrics. The ones I made back then are lost but the loom isn't. I kept it all these years, decades really. And I'm so happy I did.


Because, at long last, I have started working on my Flag for Peace and at least one of its parts is being woven on my toy loom. The fabric is 18 x 22 cms (7.2 x 8.8 inches) but can be weaved to a length of 1.5 mts (5 feet). As some of you may have already noticed, I started out the wrong way, following the wrong direction, though now I do understand the instructions! Never mind though, because what I have in mind is not a nicely structured weaved fabric.


My ideas for a flag were numerous and varied. I even considered creating a rope ladder. It is only now that I am really working on one that things come together and I usually find my way along as I work. The piece speaks to me and it leads the way. So I can't tell you exactly what my flag will look like. There will probably be more than one woven piece sewn to cotton fabrics and some strings hanging loose. I'll be sharing the process with you.

What I am using here is a three-strand macramé cord. I am separating the strands and weaving them one by one. The flag will be a white/off-white composition of fabrics, some embroidery will take place if I have the time for it and different materials will be there too. I am weaving my way, feeling my way to completion.

Recovering my toy loom for this project speaks to my heart. Isn't that where Peace resides?

15 comments:

  1. I do think there is some sweet and powerful connection between this long-lost and loved object and PEACE... look forward to seeing how it comes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'm on the right track because of the way I feel about the whole process. Using the loom has a deeper significance, a fabric of peaceful moments and endeavours, a homage to Peace weaving its way across the planet.

      Delete
  2. how wonderful that you kept this loom through the years. and not too big so that it's overwhelming. can't wait to see your progress. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Deanna, and thank you. I really needed to share this recovered treasure of mine and I hope my work will honour it.

      Delete
  3. Your little loom is beautiful and so will be the material you weave. How lovely to have kept it all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throwing things away and starting anew with a clean slate is not for me. Of course I do get rid of things periodically but only of those that mean nothing to me. If I feel attached to them, they stay. Even when I never use them, they have a place in my life and a reason for being with me. That's what happened with the loom. Every time I came across the torn cardboard box and the abandoned wooden frame, my heart ordered my logic to hush and give up its nonsensical utilitarian arguments. And the loom stayed on... I hope I will manage to make something beautiful, thank you, Carol.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ersi-
    I just love your response to Carol's comment. There is something amazing about happening upon something from your childhood...I have an old jewelry box from my childhood and every once in a while I open up the little drawers and rediscover little bits of this and that from way back when. I'm excited to see your peace flags. I've been thinking about joining the project...maybe starting with my friend, Martha's, hamsa as the centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julie! I wish you did join the project, your idea about the centerpiece is lovely and I'm sure that creating a flag around Martha's memory will be deeply inspiring.

      Things from the past... They are part of us and we are part of them. I can find no meaningful way of being in the present if I let go of my past. That old jewelry box contains little treasures in more than one sense, doesn't it?

      Delete
    2. Yes... it's funny what we keep. I look in that old jewelry box and wonder at the strange collection of odd things. What made me keep them? I will definitely consider the flags..thanks for your encouragement, Ersi.

      Delete
  5. I always wanted a loom like this when I was a kid. I finally bought myself one last Christmas and I'm hooked.
    Its strange the things we keep from childhood. One of my most treasured possessions is a 1950's plastic musical cigarette box. I play it each time I dust it and each time I'm transported back to being very small, sitting the carpet in my grandma's front room playing with this and her collection of brass ornaments. I can even smell the polish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music and smells! Both are so evocative of the past. They can transport us in a nanosecond to times remote. I hope you'll post some work you've done with your loom in your blog, I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  6. Ersi I love your description of feeling your way, weaving your way. I am sure you will make the most beautiful peace flags from this loom - it's strange but I can feel it all the way over here. Very special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has gone straight to my heart, Fiona. How wonderful that you can feel the magic of that little loom! It is a magical object, isn't it? And having something being born right out of my hands is fascinating! It grows and serpents its way from side to side and seems to generate feelings and ideas. I hope I can meet the challenge!

      Delete
  7. Oh I love this...so pure and white. Weaving is very therapeutic and I am happy that your work speaks to you...my work speaks to me too.
    http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! Sorry for the late reply, I am not feeling very well but I am so happy that you like my tiny loom. I'm sure this work would not have been possible if it weren't for your classes, focusing on cloths and white. I am having such a good time experimenting with different approaches!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...