Blogging from Rustland, a wondrous territory bathed in golden light and covered with red, brown and orange patches of soil.
My very first experiment at rusting paper. Please understand that I'm a bit in love with it, not because it's perfect but because I actually got some rust stains on the paper! Wow, that was magic!
Of course I knew nothing about the process, so I improvised all the way. Thanks, Jennifer, for encouraging me. I took a piece of watercolour paper and stared at it for a while. (Note to beginners: the staring stage does not necessarily render results, unless you have laserbeam vision.)
While staring, I was wondering how long it would take for the rust to stain the paper and how to keep the paper wet throughout the process. Because it seemed logical that I should do so. If the paper dried, after all, the rusting process would stop. Or would it?
I laid the paper in a shallow plastic tray and added some water. I placed some rusty washers and a few unidentified objects on the paper, placed a plastic cutting board on them and weighed the lot down with an oven tray made of clay, that I also filled with water so it would weigh even more.
Who's laughing? I heard that!
These beautiful washers are the same ones I used to rust my cloth. I left the compound in the kitchen and dropped in every couple of hours or so to see how it was doing. It was doing very little. So I moved everything to another room and closed the door, to avoid spontaneous artistic contributions from my cats.
I don't know what these pin-like creatures are. I found them on the ground, next to a nearby workshop, but there was no one around to ask. I just picked them up and took them home, whimsical iron sprouts from Rustland.
I let the rusting process go on for almost 22 hours. Then I removed the oven tray and the cutting board, and lovingly picked up the rusty objects, ooohing and aaahing to myself all the time. While the paper was still wet I decided to add a few tea stains on it. They gave way to yet another wonderful discovery: where they interacted with the rust, they changed its colour from brownish to gray. I love that!
Unfortunately (or not), at this point I was too impatient to wait for the paper to dry, so I took it out to the sun. It dried in less than half an hour but the tea stains became stronger and their edges are less blurry that I would like them to be. I guess because they dried so quickly and had no time to spread out on the wet surface.
But. I am mesmerized by the results and there will definitely be more rusting in Rustland.