welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Tuesday, 30 October 2012

finished and gift-wrapped

I'd like to thank all of you for your wonderful comments on my work with rust. They have been as encouraging as the works in themselves and I feel that I have been able to establish a deeper communication with you through them. It's a lovely feeling and one that I believe is hard to find on the Internet.


This is paper #10. I decided to post it though I'm not completely sure it's finished. At any rate, what may be missing - if anything - is probably just a small dot or a little line somewhere. This is actually the very first paper I rusted, funny how I kept postponing work on it. I think it took me several days to overcome my initial awe of it. Being the first, it seemed just perfect as it was.


Short running stitches bordering some tea stains. Somehow they remind me of a stellar cloud. With a sun bursting right beside it?


Some more holes burned into the paper with an incense stick and a few more colour dots collaged on the background. This time I was smart! I figured out that burning the holes through the thick paper would be much easier if I pierced it first. Ha!


One of the things we need to work out for the December show is packaging. How will we wrap our works for the eventual buyers? I decided to use these sturdy kraft merchandise envelopes that I recently bought on Etsy, they are the perfect size. But what if people want me to gift-wrap my work for them? Should I come up with two wrapping solutions, a simple one and a Christmassy one?


That would be going too far, I thought. So I decided on a simple gift-wrapping solution. I folded a band of white kraft paper around each envelope (yes, with a few drops of glue) and taped strips of clear tape decorated with leaves on the white paper. I think they look nice, cheerful but not too fancy.

Having finished this part of the work feels good! Now for the larger sized ones. Gulp...

16 comments:

  1. Ersi- You look ready. Nice packaging solution. I'm sure you'll figure out those larger pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as ever, Julie! This packaging solution has been approved by a few friends too, so I guess I'll leave it at that. As for the larger pieces, I think I'll start working on them tomorrow. Fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for that, Helen! I'd better let go of it and start focusing on new work.

      Delete
  3. mmm.... there's something about brown paper bags.. i love them. When i had a shop, we used kraft bags with handles in various sizes, and the only decoration was a tag made out of handmade paper with our name & details stamped on... they had quite a cult following in our little town. Your bags are beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzi! Coming from a pro, it's a great compliment. So you don't have a shop now? Your work is beautiful, I hope you do sell.

      Delete
  4. Your bags look lovely! Will your name be anywhere on them to serve as a little post-sale advertisement? Just a thought. I love what you are doing with paper and will direct my current students to this post, because they have asked to do some stitching with paper this year. I love the burned holes paired with the punched-out dots of color, especially... well, no that's not true... I love the swirls of rust and tea, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dee and thank you so much! I hope your students will find something useful in my work, I certainly love the idea of them dropping by. It's very generous of you.

      As for putting my name somewhere on the envelopes, I'll need to write an entry about it, I think. I wanted to keep them simple, without too much visual information, but your suggestion makes sense, of course. I'll have to figure out a discreet way of doing it.

      Delete
  5. #10 is just lovely, Ersi. I couldn't choose a favourite, each has its own particular charm. The brown paper bags are a great idea. And yes, make sure you have your name there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm thanks, Carol! Packaging is usually not an issue, when I sell a piece I just wrap it nicely. But this is going to be an Art Supermarket, right? I need to find a non-invasive way to show my name :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Ersi, I suddenly saw the whole Universe and shooting stars in Number 10 - amazing. I like brown paper bags - with less on them rather than more; but do agree your details on them somehow would be a great addition. Maybe stitch your business card on them or write your name on a scrap of watercolour paper and machine stitch that on or stamp your name...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Fiona! I'm thrilled you like it, thank you. I am already trying to figure out a nice way of putting my name somewhere on the envelopes, an unobtrusive one. Oh, dear, just when I thought this part of the work was finished...

      Delete
  7. Another beautiful piece for your growing collection! I just love your latest rust-inspired works - there's so much going on with each of them...so much to draw the eye and capture the imagination.
    Kraft paper envelopes always make great packaging...and I even wonder - assuming you have any scraps/bits & pieces left from your finished pieces - if they could be used as finishing touches on the packaging, to sort of 'echo' the lovely papers found inside.
    Looking forward to seeing your larger works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice big 'thank you' is due! It is amazing how rust entices the viewers and tempts them to try the process too. Creating these works was magic and I really want to go on.

      I am taking note of your ideas for finishing touches, I now realize this is really important. Thanks again :)

      Delete
  8. I adore the packaging.....
    http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you adore it! A paper bag full of thanks!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...