welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

rusted paper and other adventures

I've been a bit silent, a bit absent and very busy. I hate this last part, I am not a hyperactive person and being too busy just throws me off my track. But I have also been playing quite a lot! This part I love.


I have been rusting more papers (a total of eight at the moment, oh yeah!) and working more on them. Initially I planned to only post my rusting experiments but the papers called out to me, they wanted to be taken some steps further, they wouldn't let me be! So, instead of scanning and blogging about them, I sat down at my drawing table and started playing with them.


This is a detail of the image above. I only used washers here and quite sparsely, so the simple composition suggested some kind of structuring of my space. A contrast between round and square. Broken circles and broken lines. I used pieces of thin string and applied cross stitches over some of the intersections. The small circles drawn with graphite became a recurrent element on all my papers.


Another sparsely rusted paper. Pieces of string again, a similar structuring of the space and more graphite circles. They make the washer marks look like something between flowers and machine gears.


More cross stitches over some intersections of the strings. I really think the rust stains look like flowers here.


My third and last simple composition. Enough of horizontal and vertical lines, it said, at least try to tip them a bit, woman!


And tip them I did. Little graphite circles, scattered cross stitches and a leap to the void ahead of me.


The rust stains on this paper turned out more chaotic, as you can see. I used a few newly found rusted objects and they behaved differently. Some of them almost acted like masks, they preserved the paper under them and spread their rust all around. I love that star-shaped thingy on the upper left. The grayish stains were made with green tea and the small gray splashes on the upper right side are the marks left by brewed tea leaves.

I felt it made no sense to try structuring the chaos and I decided to go along with it. Seed stitches made with gray thread, a few cross stitches, a single french knot (I wonder if anyone can find it) and three short pieces of copper wire on the lower left side.


There you have it, the single french knot. And the rust stains look so much better up close, don't they?


Seed stitches, green tea stains and what has become a fixed element in this series: the graphite circles.


The lines made with copper wire, some cross stitches, etc., etc.


Should I call this my 'musical piece'? After fixing the copper wire in place, it reminded me of a harp. The rest is also trying to respect the original chaos. Scattered french knots on the upper right side, mingled with tea stains and some graphite marks.


Not all crosses are stitches but all rust stains are beautiful. How hard it is to match this beauty!


The 'harp thingy' up close. Can you hear it better now?


Ok, I won't torment you with more pictures. This is yet another detail of my fifth paper. Three more are rusted and ready to play with me. I'd like to make two more, ten is a nice number, isn't it?

18 comments:

  1. It's a perfect number. Love what you've done with these, the combination of all the elements is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! How lovely that you like them, it encourages me to go for more.

      Delete
  2. I'm simply swooning over here, wishing to see your magnificent pieces in person. The simplicity of the rusting coupled with the stitching is exquisite. More please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeayyyy, hold on, I'll do a somersault! I am so happy you like these thingies, Jennifer! I had such a great time working on them but some difficult moments too. I was afraid of ruining them. Thank you so much! There will be more soon. The rust lust is irresistible :))

      Delete
    2. The rust lust is quite addictive, as you're discovering. My stumbling block was/is that I love the process, but once rusted had absolutely no clue what to do with the fabrics or papers. That's changed a bit. You, however, just dove right in and started stitching and drawing and...it's awesome!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, me lovely :)) I was able to dive in when I stopped thinking in terms of rust (that was a bit intimidating) and started seeing colour washes. Then it was just a question of exploring the composition and discovering the meaning. Not easy either but more generic, in a way.

      Delete
  3. Rust lust! I like your playtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't you join the lusting experience? :))

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. The combination of the rust with the stitching and the restricted color looks fantastic ersi,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Helen! It was a challenge but I think my humble experience with watercolours helped a lot. I just saw abstract compositions made up of colour washes and took it from there. I'm really pleased you like them!

      Delete
  5. Hi Ersi- Can't believe I missed these yesterday! I love how you listened to what the pieces were telling you they needed...a duet of sorts. I am especially in love with the last piece...it seems to be telling a story. Keep going...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I finished my sixth paper! Quite different from the ones above but then quite similar too. When my work doesn't speak to me I am simply unable to do it. I need this dialogue with my pieces to be able to move ahead. Thank you so much, Julie!

      Delete
  6. more pictures certainly would not have been torment....these are amazing. Each one a work of art.
    http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, none of this would have been possible without my embroidery classes! Applying stitches to rusted paper seemed to make so much sense. More will come soon, I am enjoying this enormously. Thanks, dear Karen!

      Delete
  7. Hi Ersi - I love how each of finds our own ways into working with the rusted paper or fabric. As you say - little stories emerge, little drawings are made and we add our marks to the marks, echoing, re-telling, starting anew. You are making lovely marks and telling beautiful stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Deep sigh of contentment): Thank you! The idea of actually telling a story is there to work on. A humble artist's book made with rusted papers, I only need to find the right words. And the right binding.

      Delete
  8. Ersi, these are delightful! Keep making them, each is more beautiful than the last. You have such a good eye for detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol! Your comments are encouraging me to dive even deeper into Rustland. I think these papers have found a destination, I'll blog about it soon.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...