welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Sunday, 30 December 2012

2013 projects starting

Does the title sound as if I had two thousand and thirteen projects in the making? Fortunately, that's not the case but the first six months of the year are already packed with activities that require attention and dedication. They are all art-related and I am thrilled about each and every one of them but I also need to be very careful or I could easily fall behind on the deadlines.

a letter a week 2013


This is my first project and one that will be running throughout the year. Every participant has to create two sets of alphabets, 52 letters in all, one for each week of the year. One of the sets will evolve around the idea of Peace and the other one is a free theme. The only other rule in the game (I like to think of it as a creative game) is that the letters must be painted, collaged, punched through, stitched or whatever on a 7cm x 7cm supporting surface. That's it. Hop over to the blog to read the details posted by Fiona Dempster, the fine calligrapher and book artist who is managing the project.


The next project has to do with our local art group named 'Roots' (arraïls in the Catalan spoken in the area). From 22 March to 23 April we'll be holding a group exhibition in a very beautiful place: the Convent de Sant Salvador near Horta de Sant Joan, a village 18 kms from Beceite, where I live.


It was probably the Templars that started building the Convent around 1100 AD and new floors and wings were added to the initial construction through the centuries. Today the building hosts a hall for exhibitions -among other things. Surprisingly, I haven't been able to find any pictures of the hall on the Internet but you can tell by this photograph how interesting and beautiful the area and the building are. The general theme of this exhibition will be 'Ports', that means mountain passes in Catalan. It wasn't the theme of my choice, I generally prefer more abstract ideas to work on, but it was voted for by the majority of the Group's members so I'll have to start working on it very soon. Next week, to be precise.

The third project will be a solo exhibition in Zaragoza in May. Zaragoza is a lovely city 150 kms from where I live, pop. slightly over 700,000.

 

And this is the venue: the Centro Joaquin Roncal, in the old quarter and very near the historical centre of the city. The Centre has more than one hall for exhibitions and I don't know yet where mine will take place. There are still several details to be specified, the size of the hall being one of the most important. I need to know how many artworks I'll have to produce and their size, of course.

This opportunity came up because there is an association of Greeks in Zaragoza. 15 of the 60 members are Greek and the rest are Spanish interested in Greece, its culture, history, music, food, etc. I was contacted by the association and they proposed the exhibition as an event running parallel to a series of activities - Greek dance lessons, live music, conferences, etc. - organized by them for May. Their only request (rather than condition) was that my works have something to do with Greece.

I explained that they would be abstract / conceptual works of art, so now I must decide how to include - or rather allude to - Greece in my work. Dear me, it's not all that easy. But I usually find my way along a subject after I start working on it, not before, so I'll tell you more about it when the time comes.

The following project has to do with Arraïls again. About 55 kms from here there's a village called Corbera d´Ebre. It is known in contemporary Spanish history for its role in the Battle of the Ebro during the Spanish Civil War (1936 - 1939). In fact, the old centre of the village is like a living monument to that war. As you can read in Wikipedia (a very short entry on the village): 'This town was thoroughly destroyed during the Battle of the Ebro in the Spanish Civil War . The lower part of the town has been rebuilt but the higher part, including the old church on the hill, has been kept as a reminder...'


The old church is called San Pere (Saint Peter) and only part of the building still stands. It is a symbol of the destruction caused by the war but now also a centre for art. The village hosts an Art Biennial that is due again in the summer of 2013 and we will participate with a series of collaborative works. I am really looking forward to that. Producing a work of art with someone else, an artist using an entirely different medium, is a challenge that opens up many unpredictable paths for creativity. It's still too early to know the details but that old church is such a striking, overpowering place that I'm sure we will all be inspired to create something unique.

And of course: a very Happy New Year to you all!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy, creative exciting 2013 is about to start for you! Looking forward to seeing all those amazing creations. Congrats on the solo exhibition! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! We'll be closely in touch through our blogs and the ALAW 2013 project. I am also looking forward to your work and newsletters :)

      Delete
  2. You are taking on a lot Ersi, but I know you will produce wonderful art for each. It sounds very exciting and I'm thrilled about your solo exhibition. 2013 will be so creative for you and I will be watching with pleasure and interest. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carol! I am a bit scared, as you can imagine, because it's a lot of activity indeed. But I think I'll manage -and have fun too! I already have about 20 sketchbook pages full of sketches and outlines.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're going to be really busy next year. Looking forward to seeing the progress of these projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed but also very excited about all this. Thanks, Jac!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year ersi. It sounds like you've got a very busy and exciting year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a roaring 2013! I am already working on it, thank you, Helen.

      Delete
  5. Oh Ersi they all sound so wonderful! And the venues as well...Big congrats on a solo exhibition in such a space and place - I am looking forward to seeing how you progress them all. It will be a feast for the eyes and mind I am sure. Go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Fiona! I'll be posting my works-in-progress here. For the time being, my workspace is a chaos of sketches and torn papers :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...