welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Miró's Little Toe


This is not a drawing of Joan Miró's little toe, my friends. I never got the chance to see it but I imagine it didn't look at all like an a. This is, in fact, my letter a for the a letter a week 2013 alphabet. To be more precise, these are my letters a and A, since each one of them appears in lower-case and capital form.


I am starting out with the free-style alphabet, that is inspired in my drawings for the Sketchbook Project 2013. After discovering the artistically liberating qualities of painkillers and the soothing effects of random doodling, it only seemed fit that I should use it to design my first twenty six letters.


Miró's work must have been strolling around in my subconscious for ages and its influence surfaced when I least expected it, as self-respecting Surrealist influences do. They just jump out of your head and onto your work surface without permission.


So I took out my watercolours, my graphite pencil and my china ink and started doodling again on a large sheet of fine-grain watercolour paper. I drew lines and dots haphazardly, paying no attention to the letters-to-be. Then I cut the paper in 26 7 x 7 cm squares and shuffled them like an expert poker player.


My dots and lines lost all initial connection and gave way to random marks and traces. Only then did I start looking for those forms that were willing to become letters. I reinforced them a bit when necessary and added colour. Everything here has been drawn and painted by hand and the colours are haphazard too, in line with the doodles.

I wanted my first alphabet to be dedicated to Peace but changed my mind in the process. Peace is not an easy task, either in real life or in art. Too many ideas, too many options, no time to think them out. I am very busy working for my solo exhibition in May, so I decided to start my alphabets with Miró's fun and subversive little toe. With a red-polished nail.

14 comments:

  1. C'est un formidable départ pour votre alphabet. Je l'aime beaucoup. Il est gai et coloré, graphique et dynamique. Superbe idée et superbe réalisation.
    - - - - - -
    This is a great start to your alphabet. I like it a lot. He is gay and colorful, graphic and dynamic. Great idea and great execution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup, Callie! Delighted you like it. Miró's little toe will be wiggling with joy :)

      Delete
  2. This is such beautiful work Ersi. The playfulness is so delightful - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dearly, Amanda! I was a bit worried it might come through as too frivolous but then again... why not? I'm happy you like it!

      Delete
  3. I love this ersi, your letters are really gorgeous. I love the calligraphic lines, the colours, the suggestions of Miro. wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A thousand thank-yous, as we would say in Spanish! I hope this playful experience with calligraphic lines will help when I seriously get down to learning calligraphy. I haven't thought much about the final presentation of this alphabet but, if it's ok with you, I might use your 'Square or Circular Book Box' idea? (http://biblio-tout.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/square-or-circular-book-box.html).

      Delete
  4. These are great Ersi. Looking forward to seeing the rest over the next few weeks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am already in a flurry of work for the May show and have some trouble keeping up with all the blogs I follow. I am also looking forward to your alphabets, as well as the other projects you blog about.

      Delete
  5. The playfulness of your alphabet's name, colors and lines is so appealing, Ersi. And I loved hearing how you reached this concept via the semi-'surreal' experience you had with the Sketchbook project. It sounds like it will be the perfect antidote/balance to all of the work you're doing for your solo show. And many congratulations on that, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks again, Lisa! This line of semi-surreal work (I love your term) is probably worth exploring more but what I am creating for the show has absolutely nothing to do with this. I'll tell you all about it in a future blog entry. No photos yet.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful, playful and exploratory start! Sometimes life is kind and delivers this magic to us and we just get to fiddle with it and tweak it and make it a wee bit better. Your semi-surreal dream work is great! I love the way you went looking for the letters once you'd done the work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fiona, it's great to hear from you! I was wondering what you would think of my frivolities :) and I am delighted you like them. This alphabet is a fun counterweight to my paper homes, that are taking a lot out of me. I am really enjoying being part of the ALAW project this year!

      Delete
  7. I read your profile on Flickr all the way through, which is saying a lot as my attention span on the web is not great. What a whirlwind trip through your life so far. Good luck with your calligraphy project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jackie! Yesterday I re-added you as a contact on Flickr, no idea why your name disappeared from my contacts list. Probably my mistake. Thanks an awful lot for reading my profile to the end, I take it as a compliment :) And thanks for your good wishes too, I plan to keep having fun and hope it will render nice results.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...