welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Thursday, 17 January 2013

Roy G Biv goes Black and White

Hello everybody. I've been offline for more than a week and barely started catching up yesterday. I do remember today is the Roy G Biv challenge Thursday though and I don't want to miss the fun. So here go my entries:

my bed, January, slanting afternoon sunlight

a closer view

a broken glass and a crystal ball

my mother's gloves back from the 1950s

two gloves and two pins

a hammock net and a pin

a scarf and a pair of scissors

And a black and white fractal:

of roses and stones

Julie B Booth and Jennifer Coyne Qudeen run the challenge together every third Thursday of the month and through their blogs you can find links to the entries of many other participants. Both of them submit some beautiful and surprising photographs, and Julie holds a draw every time and gives away to the winner one of her wonderful hand-printed fabrics. Just hop over and delight yourselves.

Notes for future entries:

1. I am working on my first a letter a week 2013 alphabet. What a muddle of papers and sketches! I hope I can make up my mind before the end of January. Oh, dear.

2. On 15 January I posted my little book to the Sketchbook Project. On the very deadline! I probably should have titled it 'High on Antibiotics', since I had a tooth infection -ouch!- and was on medication for more than a week. The crazy results? Soon on your screens.

Thanks for dropping in, it's great to see you again!

19 comments:

  1. Ersi- Thanks for posting this wonderful selection of Black & White! I love your mother's gloves and the scissors hiding in the fabric. The fractal is very beautiful.

    I know what you mean by the "muddle of paper and sketches" for alaw! I have so many different ideas! And of course, I don't want to only draw the designs...hmm making more work for myself, as usual! Can't wait to see what you come up with for that and your Sketchbook as well.--Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased you like the shots, Julie, thank you!

      The ALAW project will render some wonderful results, as always. I love the challenge, I just wish it were easier to decide on a design. Looking forward to your work too.

      Delete
  2. Another muddle of papers and ideas here! Your shadowy monochromes are lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I seem to be living in a muddle of papers lately, I am a paper worm, a paper moth and a paper dweller :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely images! Those of your bed are very inviting...just calling out 'afternoon nap'/'reading session'. And the scarf pattern reflected on the scissors blades is amazing. I love the dramatic black backgrounds in your still lifes too...

    As for ALaW, I am quite enjoying this muddle-y period of brainstorming/narrowing down ideas, though it is a little disconcerting to see the weeks already slipping past. Still, once you find your direction it'll all fall into place! I'm looking forward to seeing your first letters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I did feel like getting in bed for a while when I took those shots. The gloves-and-scissors shots were part of an old slide-show (yes, before digital took over) accompanying a fashion show featuring new designers. It was great fun, I loved the experience.

      I really feel at home in my paper muddle, just as cozy as my bed :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Ersi- glad you made it back for B&W - these are gorgeous images...

    I'm in exactly the same ALAW phase and am finding the struggle fun, interesting and at times exasperating. Hopefully something will sit still long enough for me to make a proper start very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy you like my shots, Fiona, thank you!

      Fun and exasperation is what I have here too. An interesting combination, with great creative potential. I just follow the crazy papers around to see where they'll settle!

      Delete
  5. Stunning images again ersi. I'm always seduced and mesmerized by dramatic black and white - as you may have noticed from the predominance of b&w in my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed indeed and I always enjoy your b&ws. Their subtlety and depth. I'm so pleased you enjoyed these shots, thank you!

      Delete
  6. Hello Ersi - gorgeous black and white images. Still think black and white work is my absolute favourite - even warmer versions of the black and white theme. Yum
    I have not even begun to think of ALAW and had to give away the SketchBook project as I just ran out of time. Am working, but on other things and sometimes you just have to prioritise. I imagine my alphabet will come out in multiples once I am back from overseas. At the moment I have been busy booking and planning our trip to Spain. Going well so far. Would you be able to recommend any particular area in behind Barcelona, around the Pyrenees, or over there on the eastern border with France? Have made good plans I hope for along the north and down the western side of Spain. Exciting.

    Looking forward to see what you and others come up with in ALAW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan. I have a list of not so well known places to visit in Spain and I'll mail it to you over the weekend. My painful tooth infection has slowed everything down for more than two weeks. I hope you'll find the information interesting.

      I gave up on the Sketchbook project last year for lack of time too. I really regretted it, so this year I decided to just complete it and send it off, no matter if it came out weird.

      Black and white is a force in itself, very close to poetry. I love the way that poetry is there in your work.

      Delete
    2. You are so right about black and white being like poetry - I suppose it is like black and white script moving along the page in random movements - very calligraphic. Or it can be.

      Will look forward to receiving your list. Am quite excited at the thought of insider information! Thank you Ersi. Really hope your infection sorts itself out soon. I don't think there is anything more painful than toothache .... big hug x

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos, Ersi, and I especially love the scarf and scissors. You certainly pack a lot into your life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! You made me laugh, because I often have that feeling of packing too much into my life. But then the process becomes more selective and I end up with just a few lines of work. It probably happens to us all.

      Delete
  8. beautiful
    love especially
    the sheer gloves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are one of my treasured objects, thanks so much for the comment and for dropping in.

      Delete
  9. Love the deep simplicity of black and white. The images niggle at the mind creating a story for each person. Lovely composition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo! I guess black and white appeals to all calligraphers? It does tell a story, much as letters do. I'm so pleased you enjoyed my shots.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...