welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Sunday, 20 January 2013

whale in the sky [without diamonds]

Picture yourself in bed with a toothache, with heavy, dark skies and painkiller highs.
Somebody calls you, you answer quite numbly, a whale that incredibly flies.

 Sketchbook Project 2013

I sincerely hope that you won't mind my playing with the lyrics of 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds'. I just couldn't resist the temptation. I had my Sketchbook for months and always one thing or another kept me from starting work on it. When I finally did it was 7 January 2013.


I had a quite painful tooth infection and was taking antibiotics and painkillers. Many painkillers. I didn't feel like doing much and resting my head on the pillows helped but being in bed was boring. I read on and off, I made some telephone calls but was still restless. Wondering what I could do to pass the time, the Sketchbook hit me on the head. Ouch!


I got up to fetch it, took it to bed with me and started drawing. No plan, no preconceived ideas. I just drew lines and dots, and insisted a bit more on some forms that seemed fun to me.


I was thinking how weird everything was turning out and almost decided that I wouldn't send it. I would just keep on drawing, because it made me feel better.


When I reached the middle spread that large ovalish form on the upper right wanted to be a whale. It was so sure about its identity that I took its word for it. It was a whale in the sky. And since I was under the influence of drugs, legal as they may be, I thought the whole thing was surreal enough to deserve a psychedelic title.

No diamonds though.

Once finished and flipped through again and again, I thought I saw some Miro influences there and even distant reminiscences of André Masson. Oooh! Reconsidering, I decided to send it to the Sketchbook Project anyway. If you click on the link, you'll be taken to my project page, where you can see the entire book.

If I had more time, I would have added some text on some pages. No time though. I posted my sketchbook on the very last day of the deadline, 15 January. My tooth didn't hurt any more and the infection was gone.

Still no diamonds.

18 comments:

  1. No diamonds, perhaps, but plenty of little gems! What a fun(ny) post this is (especially knowing that your toothache is finally gone). I love how you said you kept on drawing "because it made me feel better" - what better reason? And it's amazing what you managed to create during that time and in your 'altered' state! Looking forward to heading over to see the rest of your pages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, thanks Lisa! I was also unsure whether I should blog about this or not but finally decided to be brave and show the world my silliness too.

      Delete
  2. A good result, I'd say, Ersi. And proof, if needed, that doing something we love is cathartic.
    (wanders off, singing about rocking horse people and marshmallow pies...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A marshmallow pie is always a fine remedy, methinks! Thank you for the encouragement, it's good to know that you didn't wander off banging the door behind you :)

      Delete
  3. How fantastic ersi that something really good comes out of a bad situation and how apt your experience was. The sketchbook looks wonderful and reminds me of Miro too. I love those calligraphic lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Maybe I should explore the potential of those lines and dots in free calligraphy? In my ALAW alphabets? How great that you like my psychedelia, Helen!

      Delete
  4. Incredibly cool! I'm hoping to go to the Brooklyn Art Library once this version opens. I will definitely check your sketchbook out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jennifer, I'd love that! I am not having my sketchbook digitized this year, I scanned it myself before sending it off, so if you do find it I hope you'll like the original. Thanks a million!

      Delete
  5. Drugs do you good! Move over Ersi Marina here comes Ersimiro .......
    I am a great fan of Miro and the whimsical Ersi so really love this little book. Had a good look through it via your link. Think I like the 'whale of a grin' on page 26-27 best. You should be glad to have sent it in.
    Hope the toothache is mending well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan, what I great laugh I just had! Ersimiro is a delight, I wish I had thought of it! That 'whale of a grin' looks so ugly to me it becomes endearing. Does this make sense? I'm glad I did send the sketchbook in, it took me back to my drawing days and maybe I should keep on doodling in a 'drug-induced' style.

      My tooth is behaving now, I hope it won't act up again. xx

      Delete
  6. Really pleased to hear that your toothache is better. I LOVE these drawings - very calligraphic and whimsical - seems the meds really raised your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda! It's a good thing that I've never been drawn to the drug experience but look at all those sketches drawn thanks to it! It is certainly easier to let go when you're a bit high. I never expected such positive reactions to my whale.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ersi - I like what the drugs did! Gorgeous pages and a wonderful sketchbook. Hope your recovery continues - teeth hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, teeth hurt alright! Nasty little things. But then I love the outcome and by that I don't only mean the sketches but the unexpected support I get from you all. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. E-glad to hear that the pain is gone - and as others have said looks like the drugs added to the creativity - very whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'I can see clearly now the pain is gone...'

      Paraphrasing another song, sorry. Thank you, Barry, it's such a sweet feeling to know that my crazy doodles are appreciated!

      Delete
  9. Hi there Ersi- I wanted to get over here to "officially" comment on your sketchbook...which I just love! And...among the answers to comments, I see that you might consider continuing in this style for an alaw alphabet...I say "yes please!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks again! For the encouraging words and for reading the entry so thoroughly -comments included. The idea of creating an alphabet 'whale-style' is still with me and January is running out, so let's see if I can get into my psychedelic mood again soon.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...