welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Wednesday, 13 February 2013

shop scheming: attic papers

I am taking some time off my paper homes to be with you all. If I told you that I literally had to wrench myself out of those walls-under-construction and slam a paper door behind me so that I could breath some fresh air, it wouldn't be such a great exaggeration. Nowadays I seem to be living, working and even sleeping in them.

Two homes are finished and three more are cluttering my construction site (i.e. my living room). No photographs yet. First I need to be sure that what seems final is indeed final and that no repairs will be necessary. This feeling of certainty may come within hours or after a few days. It always comes unannounced, so I'll just have to wait for it. I just hope it won't be very early in the morning!


But. Parallel to being a paper-construction worker, I have been slowly building a soon-to-come online shop on BigCartel. I decided to call it attic papers and if you take a minute to drop by, you'll see how it looks. In fact, I'd love it if you took a walk by the storefront and told me what you think of it.

To begin with, I will be selling my white papers in balsa boxes as well as my rusted papers. Several items are in the shop already though they are all featured as 'coming soon'. I need to take good pictures of the balsa boxes before I add them to the shop. There are only a couple of them there for the time being, just to see what they look like.

So, to make a long story short, I would appreciate any comment and/or idea you may have about my 'attic papers' before I launch it to the world. Do you like the colour scheme? Do you like the header? What do you think of the name? (I explain my choice of a name in the about page.) Everything is in English and in Spanish too, the prices are in euros (would it be better to show them in US dollars?) and I still need to add a couple of pages about the shop's policies, etc.

More work in construction but the floors are leveled and polished. You don't need to mind your steps.

And warm thanks in advance for taking a peek!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Ersi- Love the new shop! The color scheme is very "you"...clean and white and light.It would be great that in addition to Euros you had the prices in US dollars.

    I am really looking forward to seeing the paper houses, they sound VERY intriguing. I've asked Lisa this as well, but do you have a suggestion for types of paper that would be best for detailed paper cutting (with X-acto). I have a yearning to try some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julie and thank you! I do appreciate your opinion and the time you took to visit my shop. I'll see if I can show the prices both in euros and in dollars, I'm not sure I can. Maybe I'll just go for dollars and include the price in euros in the description.

      I don't know much about paper cutting but I found this blog that could be very useful: papercutsbyjoe.blogspot.com There are two particular entries that may interest you to start with:

      http://papercutsbyjoe.blogspot.com.es/2010/01/tools-of-trade-knives.html

      http://papercutsbyjoe.blogspot.com.es/2010/02/papercutting-tips-guide-to-paper.html

      I see he is willing to answer questions and clear doubts, so go ahead and ask the master!

      Delete
  2. Dear Ersi, your Paper Attic looks just beautiful, so perfectly "you". The colour scheme is everything I would expect to complement your gentle and elegant works of art. I too would like to see US$ I think. Does this allow for Paypal? Important that customers don't have to go searching for a credit card number, though in retrospect, perhaps I wouldn't buy so much if I had to go to that extra trouble!

    Somehow I missed your post on the Houses. That looks very promising and I know is a subject you will treat with great empathy.

    Congratulations on your shop, and my very best wishes for your success. Oh, and Happy St Valentine's Day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saint Valentine's, Carol! And thanks very much for your helpful comments on the shop. Delighted you like it! I will definitely show the prices in US dollars, European customers will know that they have to pay 'less' in euros. All payments will be processed through PayPal and I will make clear in my 'policies' page that no PayPal account is necessary to clear the purchase.

      Thanks again for your wonderful words and your support!

      Delete
  3. Hello Ersi, I love the imagery you used to describe your immersion in the paper homes. I think there's no greater phase than living/working/sleeping with a creative project. Enjoy!
    And congratulations on your shop! It's coming along beautifully, and I love how you arrived at the name. In bocca al lupo with your new venture...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, I think crepi is in order? You are such a sensitive, attentive reader, Lisa. You never read in a hurry, do you? I appreciate that very much! I'm also very happy that you like the shop. It will probably take me some time before I'm ready to open -no internet connection in my paper homes :)- but I'll blog about it when I do.

      Delete
    2. Brava; yes, 'crepi' is the right response (though it's been explained to me many times, I still find it a little confusing wrapping my head around why!).
      I imagine you must be completely immersed in (even surrounded by?) your paper homes at the moment. I just wanted to say I hope they're going well, and that I'm looking forward to hearing how they've been progressing when you emerge for a breath... You must be getting a lot more work done because of the lack of internet in the paper homes!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Ersi - I enjoyed my visit to your shop - it was restful-looking and gentle and easy to spend time there. I agree re the US dollar thing - even we Aussies are more familiar with the US exchange rate than the Euro exchange rate.

    I also love how you described leaving your paper houses - the realism of them came thru well! Best wishes in your many creative endeavours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, hello! I thoroughly enjoyed your visit to my shop and homes, thanks very much for helping with your opinion. The prices are now in US dollars but I haven't been able to do much more. I'm so pleased you like my 'attic', Fiona!

      Delete
  5. Like Fiona said, your shop is a place to linger. Gentle - inviting people to look more closely. I will return but as you know am in the throes of sorting for the trip now and trying to stay away from the computer! As soon as i am in the lounge at the airport I will feel I am on holidays and will come back for a chat then. Love hearing what you are doing for your exhibition and am hoping I will be able to sneak a peek. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I wish I could add a couch to my shop, so that visitors can make themselves really comfortable while they look around :) You are always most welcome to my blog, my 'attic' and my 'paper homes'. Oh, and my brick-and-mortar den too, for sneak or snack peeks!

      Delete
  6. i am intrigued and excited for you!
    going to check out your shop now -

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Jane! You're here! How wonderful to hear from you. Thanks a million for the enthusiastic response to my shop, it put such a big smile on my face. I'll send you an email right away. XXX

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...