welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Monday, 1 April 2013

sweetly with Susan...

I haven't posted in such a long time (a month and a half, for pete's sake!) that being here feels a little strange. Everything is so familiar and yet I feel a bit out of place. Is this my blog? Do I still get to write here? And most importantly: how are you, people? I've missed you terribly!

There are things to say of course after such a long time but today I'll only post about one very special event:


On Sunday 17 March I met Susan Bowers!

I thought writing about it a full two weeks later would make it difficult for me to describe my feelings but the truth is that they are all still there, warm and excited. I met Susan. And she is such a wonderful, beautiful person! I felt a connection from the moment we met. And we met on the 14th-century stone bridge that leads to the village, that for a moment became a bridge between two continents.


We were lucky because the weather wasn't really cold and we were able to take a short walk through the village. Her husband Steve took that shot of us in front of the church, on the main square, and Susan emailed me the photograph a couple of days later. We then had lunch in a lovely local restaurant and chatted like old friends. I wonder if anyone who meets Susan could not feel instantly at home with her.

I showed her a few pieces of my work for the exhibition and she liked them. My paper homes are not always easy to 'build' and the emotions behind this work are not always easy to harness. Susan, I do appreciate your encouragement.

I wish they had stayed for a few days. As I told Susan, I had tens of questions to ask her but couldn't remember any of them when we met. Questions about her work, about herself, about her relation to art. I do hope we'll meet again sometime and be able to chat about everything over a nice cup of tea. And next to some tea-stained papers, maybe?

Steve was very patient with us and we had fun joking about their travel experiences. He is a doctor and my parents were doctors too, we also had some laughs about that. Even though these two weeks have been crazy, the warmth of our meeting is still present. A lovely day to remember. And to repeat.

Since I know that my blogging will be scarce till I finish my work for the exhibition, here's a preview of what has kept me from writing this entry earlier:

- two severe migraines only two days apart. That basically means that I was sick and useless for four or five days in a row.
- looming job problems, unexpected and worrying.
- working three full days in the Exhibition Hall again, also unexpected and very distracting.
- spending a day in Zaragoza, the city where the exhibition will take place.
- having to put everything aside and work on a commissioned piece for a couple of days. This one was a pleasant distraction.

It will also take me some time to catch up with your posts and news, sorry for that. But I am looking forward to it and to viewing all your works, that inspire me so much. Thanks for still being there.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear from you ersi, and that meeting with Susan would have been special for you both. All the best for your exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen! Meeting Susan was a wonderful experience and I wish we could all beam ourselves somehow to a regular meeting point, to get to know each other and see our work up close.

      Delete
  2. Ersi- It's 11:20 PM and I was about to head to bed...then I saw your posting....welcome back! I've missed you! Sounds like you've been very busy. I can't wait to see some of your paper homes (even if I have to wait til you exhibit them). Anyway...good to hear from you..Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, thanks so much for staying up late to read my entry! 11:20 to you is 05:20 to us, as I can see now. I was fast asleep and dreaming of snow. That's weird, isn't it? I will start posting photographs of my paper homes before the opening of the exhibition, if possible. I am a bit behind schedule after all the distractions this past couple of weeks and I won't be much online but I promise you that you'll see my 'homes' as soon as possible. XX

      Delete
  3. I've been wondering how you are - it's good to hear some news from your corner of the world...sounds like a crazy, often difficult, time you've had. I hope any 'distractions' you may have between now and the exhibition are of the lovely kind, like your happy meeting with Susan.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing your paper homes. Buon lavoro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello neighbour! I think my part of the world is pretty close to yours, considering some of us are on the other side of the globe :) Yes, there have been difficulties but I keep working on my paper homes like a diligent ant. The truth is I'll be relieved when I finish them. Thanks for the considerate comment, I hope you are having a lovely time too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Ersi - so glad that you and Susan could touch base! It's special isn't it? I hope you have a better run with health, work and the rest of it in the lead up to your exhibition. It can be a struggle sometimes. Wishing you all the best as you get closer to the exhibition. Go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, thanks so much! It would have been so wonderful if you were also here when Susan and I met. She gave me your regards and I think the blogosphere was pretty much present while we had lunch and talked. It's good to be back here, even if only for a while.

      Delete
  5. Ersi, how lovely to meet Susan! I've just looked at her wonderful photos of her trip, all so beautiful.

    I'm sorry you have had migraines again, such a time waster and so miserable for you. It sounds as though you are very busy. Just take time to take care of yourself! You are very important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dearly, Carol! I get migraines occasionally, mostly when I'm under lots of pressure. I hate them, I'm completely useless while they last. I am trying to take care of myself though and I do appreciate your kind comment.

      Delete
  6. Hi E - good to see you in blog world and what a surprise to see that you met S - sorry to hear about the migraines - not only painful but takes such a slice of time and life. Sending you positive vibes. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barry, I'll hold on to those positive vibes :) The migraines went away and I was able to stick my head into my paper homes again. I'll post some photos soon. My meeting with Susan was delightful, they literally went out of their way to visit. Lovely people, both of them. Take care!

      Delete
  7. Hello Ersi. I have just visited your blog and read this lovely post about our meeting. Weeks later and I am still smiling from the warmth of it. Sorry to hear you have not been well - certainly dampens the creative energies. By now I hope you are taking delight in your completed works. Enjoy having them around you for a while before the exhibition - I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it home again. Wish I could be there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! I need to drop by your blog and see what you have been up to lately. I wish you could be here for the exhibition too! I'm flattered that you think my work will sell, let's see how it fares. For the time being, it's still quietly piling up at home. A few more to go, since I have discarded some in the process. 'See' you soon, Susan. I'll eventually resurface in the blogosphere. XX

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...