welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Monday, 22 July 2013

a well-behaved rebel

That's me. I should give credit to my mother for both adjectives, though she never used them together. She either scolded me saying that I was a rebel or she insisted on the virtues of being well-behaved. She was right on both counts. And good old me grew up to become a well-behaved rebel. A non-pathological schizophrenia of sorts.


Can you see that 'Angry Young Men' expression on my face? I was about sixteen here and it was a nice summer day on the beach. Why would the rebel in me lash out? Because I hated having my picture taken. I still do.


Two years later I still carried that wistful look around, even on vacations. The rebel was embedded in me. The nice, patient lady next to me is my mother. I can't really be sure after all these years but I think we had just had an argument. But we were both well-behaved.


Fast-forwarding to my twenty years of age. But lo and behold! I am smiling! Well, I did and often too. I still smile a lot and I love laughing. But the wistful rebel is always around here somewhere. And she is being really insolent lately.


Going through these old photographs is fun and so is sharing them with you. There's a reason for it too, as you'll see soon. But before I take a giant leap into the present, I'd like to post just one more photo.


My mother and I went went on a trip to Cyprus when I was 22. She was a doctor, an anaesthesiologist, and she was attending a congress. I went along for the fun. But looking at this shot... would you say wistfulness can be inherited?

Ok, I won't ramble on any longer. All this came about because of my inner state of discomfort and fatigue. Maybe you read about it in my previous blog post: do it with passion or not at all. During the three weeks that have gone by the only news I can share is that I have been feeling more tired and depressed every day. Five days a week are being sucked out of my life and I need the two remaining ones just to catch my breath and my thoughts. I gaze at my papers and brushes with yearning and yet just the thought of trying to create something is unbearable. I don't feel strong enough for it, it drains me out. Not even the easy things, the fun things. My creative self is simply not here.

But the rebel is. She won't stop nudging me on the ribs and, believe me, she's strong. I'm kind of fond of her too, why deny it? I haven't been able to make a decision about my job yet and I haven't been able to dismiss the urgent need for a decision either. Too long a time to walk the tightrope.

While I play being an acrobat, there's an easier decision to make but I need your help on that a bit. My BigCartel shop attic papers is good to go.


All items are featured as 'coming soon' and how soon depends on some information I need. I live in Spain and most people are on summer holidays in July and August. Probably not the best time of the year to open a new shop. But then I don't expect to sell much locally given the economic crisis. So how are things in Great Britain, the United States, Australia, etc.? Would the end of July be a nice moment to open my shop? Should I wait till the end of August? I'd really appreciate it if you gave me some clues and thank you in advance for your help.

I do also thank you for your supportive comments to my previous post, they made me feel better and not so much alone in this jam. I may not be a frequent blogger but I do believe that creating this blog was a GREAT idea!

20 comments:

  1. what a wonderful post! thank you for the insight into you as a person -
    the attic papers are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to have you here, Mary Jane, thanks for commenting. And how great that you like my shop! I've been building it for months, maybe it is time to roll up the shutters :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ersi- I'm sorry that you find yourself in the middle of a work dilemma. Know that I am pulling for the rebel! Your selection of attic papers is quite lovely. If you're ready to launch...I say "go for it"! People are going on vacation all the time...but most of us stay connected to the internet all the time too. At first I was thinking the end of the summer...but then I thought people start to get so distracted with kids going back to school etc. Maybe launching mid-summer would be a good thing. --I had to laugh at some of those "angry" photos. My 22 yr old son hates having his picture taken too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feedback, Julie, I do appreciate it! You're probably right, now is as good a time as any. I'll trumpet and blare about it on my blog soon(ish).

      The rebel is delighted with your support, there's no telling what she'll come up with next now that she feels encouraged!

      Delete
  3. Ersi, your work is beautiful and I think the sooner you open your shop the better. I agree with Julie, just do it. I'm sure being open is better than not having your work on offer. Good luck, you really deserve it. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It seems that most of you consider this a good moment and I am more and more inclined to open my shop soon. It's also encouraging to know that you like my work. I appreciate your good wishes, Carol.

      Delete
  4. Well, I would wait until the end of August/September, when people have less to look forward to, and they too need something to cheer themselves up - and the urge to buy may come over them. I would just keep teasing about it until then - lots of great photos ... but what do I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, you know a lot about selling online, and successfully too! I appreciate the feedback and I'm delighted you like the photos. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  5. lol... id say just do it!! If you start when you know it's likely to be quiet, that gives you time to tweak things & re-arrange if needed. Plus, you're never likely to be as quiet again!

    Whenever you open, it will be 'right' though.... good luck :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, thanks! You may be right about the advantages of quiet, it's quite a point. Especially when things are hectic enough with my day job. Thanks for dropping in and commenting :)

      Delete
  6. Notice I put you on my link list to help your publicity campaign.
    The samples are going with me this weekend to a charity my son has got me involved with - we may plan a stitch workshop for teenagers. We shall see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks so much for adding me to your link list! I have been browsing the people you feature there and it's a wonderful selection. I appreciate the helping hand.

      I hope you'll blog about the stitch workshop, I learn a lot just by reading entries and doing some deduction work, looking forward to it.

      Delete
  7. Ersi, I'd say go for it...just go ahead and have the work for sale. Easy to say, not always easy to do. I've yet to list anything for sale myself so I'm probably not the best to listen to.

    As for how you feel right now, I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the supportive comment, Jennifer. It's good to have you here. I barely have time to read blog entries and leave comments lately. Your opinion is important, even though you don't sell online. (Btw, if you did, it would probably be a great success.)

      Delete
  8. Just go for it dear. And later on come up with some crazy event to make it more special. We all have laptops and smart phones. every one is on internet 24/7 ( good or bad IDK).Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A crazy event later on is a great idea! I didn't think of that, it goes to show that my mind is not commercially-oriented yet. Thank you, you just helped tip the scales quite a bit.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry to hear that you've been so down lately, Ersi. It's a shame that we can't simply will away times like this with sheer will & sincere wishes, but sometimes it can be hard to find the energy even for that. I hope you can find even one small thing of joy in each day, somehow, someway.
    And in the meanwhile, while you wait for the tide to turn/the wind to change, I'd say, if you are ready, then open your shop to the world! I'm in a country that practically closes for the month of August (and have been happily "disconnected" from the internet much of the summer), but as many pointed out, a lot of people are "connected" all of the time. Even if traffic to your shop begins slowly, it will give you a chance to tie up any loose ends or make small adjustments, and it could give you the chance to find new ways to get the word out.
    Good luck to you, and take care of you & your creative spirit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I do thank you, I appreciate your thoughtful comment. To this moment I haven't been able to 'will away' the bad spell. I feel too tired to find any strong will in me. The general social environment doesn't help either. People are worried, scared, indignant or downright jobless and dead broke. Unemployment is over 26% (guess why I got stuck with my summer day job!) and scandals of corruption taint the government and an overwhelming number of politicians. As far as my shop is concerned, I am listening closely to my inner self to catch the right time for opening. I would certainly have done so already if I had any meaningful free time. XX

      Delete
  10. avec la traduction c'est difficile de tout comprendre..
    juste une remarque..un petit soutien... c'est pas facile de vendre en ce moment, mais la roue tourne!
    courage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Elfi! Je lis ton blog souvent mais mon Français est un problème et jais ne laisse pas des commentaires. Merci pour me donner du courage!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...