welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Saturday, 24 August 2013

a long, hot summer

End of August. Almost. And I can't begin to describe the relief I feel. How are you, my friends?
 
early blossoms

Today is Saint Bartholomew's day, the patron saint of our village, and it's a holiday. I get to stay at home and enjoy long hours of doing nothing. Nothing except writing this entry, of course. I really felt like saying hello and getting in touch with you all.

I borrowed the title of this post from an old TV series: The Long, Hot Summer. (I wonder if anyone remembers it...) And this is where all resemblances end. My summer has been long and very very hot but for reasons that have nothing to do with love and passion. It's been long because I lived every day yearning for my freedom and the ability to create again. And it's been hot because the sun joined in the universal conspiracy that plotted against me (I know that for a fact, don't you dare think I'm being paranoid!) and burned its way across the sky every single day since the beginning of July, scorching the earth and my already diminished morale.

listen to the darkness

Now the temperatures are going down, the tourists will soon start leaving and I'll get myself back from wherever she's been hiding lately, stubborn creature.

While I was plodding my way through it all I had some surprising moments of inspiration and came up with ideas about future projects. Fortunately, I was sensible enough to write them down, just in case. I now have a list of about eleven projects ranging from simple to overwhelming. I should probably go back to art school to learn how to handle some of them. But who cares? They are creative projects and they are mine!

the bird triptych

There are also a couple of inspiring events coming up. In December our local group of artists will hold the 2nd Art Market and in 2014 there will be a group exhibition along with artists from a nearby area. The exhibition will take place in several different venues simultaneously and the theme is yet to be decided on. I am looking forward to both, my projects #12 and #13 so to speak. After 15 September my day job will only keep me busy during the weekends and it will end completely on Sunday 27 October. I can smell the sweet fragrance of freedom. And what about regular income, you might ask. Next question, please.

to georgia...

attic papers, my online shop is not open yet. I can't find the time or the energy to look after it. Though most of you who commented on my previous post thought I should just go ahead and open in August, I came up against my own limitations. So I'll open it by mid September, just three more weeks to go. Looking forward to that too.

I have been reading most of your blog entries, in a hurry I confess, and rarely left any comments. I mostly sneaked through them while working in the Exhibition Hall during the rare moments of peace and quiet. I wasn't able to participate in the Roy G Biv contests this summer but I enjoyed viewing your entries. (Felt a bit envious too!) As a result, one of my projects was inspired by this contest, I'll tell you all about it when the time comes.

the red square

Since I have no new work to show you, I used some fractals to decorate my entry. And oh! There may be some interesting news about my fractal work too but I am not saying anything yet. We don't want to jinx it, do we?

18 comments:

  1. Hello. It sounds like lots of good things are on the horizon for you. Here we are always complaining about the grey rainy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jackie. Yes, I can finally appreciate the good things ahead because they are now close enough to feel true. It's as if I had lost twenty pounds and can now trot along happily towards autumn. As for the weather, I used to love summer but now the intense heat tires me out. Autumn and Spring are my favourite seasons now.

      Delete
  2. Love the images of your fractal work ersi. Good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. I have neglected my fractals for a long time and sometimes I see them as someone else's work and they seem fun. I'm pleased you like them. It's good to be back :)

      Delete
  3. You write so beautifully Ersi - a lovely post. Sad to think you lost yourself through the summer and I hope by now that stubborn creature has found her way out of the shadows. Long hot summers without love or passion seem a poor deal. Sounds as though the autumn will suit you more - and indeed it is my favourite time of year. I love the images here of your fractals and will look forward to hearing about some of your plans once you voice them - or show us what you are doing there in your studio. I am still trying to gather myself from far corners and pull myself together in the studio - not always easy and I have a whole list of 'must do's' before I can begin on the want to do's ..... big hug x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised I can still be articulate, let alone write beautifully :)) This summer has been exhausting. I haven't been able to do anything in my studio except sit idly and wonder where my sources of inspiration had gone. Now I am definitely starting to feel better. Sweet autumn is knocking at the door! I am looking forward to the results of your 'want to do's' whenever you're ready. Great to be in touch again, Susan. XX

      Delete
  4. Hello Ersi - It's good to hear that your optimism is returning...it is so debilitating to wake up, day after day, with no enthusiasm for how you are required to spend the day ahead of you. I see a lot of joy & magic in the images you selected for this post, and hope that this is what begins to fill your days as the chains loosen. And lists are good - I believe we're always gathering material to use somewhere down the road, even in the lowest of times, and just the simple act of creating a list can help to keep the little flame of inspiration alive. May the approach of autumn begin a happy, fresh new chapter in your life... x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment and your good wishes, Lisa. I am looking forward to autumn and to tackling my projects! 'Debilitating' is so true. Getting to work and wondering what the heck I am doing there is not the best of feelings. My spirits are lifting now and so I chose mostly cheerful fractals for this post. As for the list, it was a little warm flame on a mostly dark path.

      Delete
  5. Ersi, It's so good to hear from you again, and I am not-so-secretly glad you will be done with the day job soon. If something doesn't work out there for finances, I'm sure you can come stay with one of us!

    A project with fractals? My lips are sealed but my eyes are waiting. . . xx C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cindi, thanks for dropping by. It's good to have companions in my day-job-hating mood. And I was stunned to read your offer to go stay with you! You are extremely generous and sensitive, thank you. You got me looking for 'Petersburg Alaska' on Google and I even tried to imagine how life must be there. I was surprised to see the range of temperatures, quite limited really. Not a great difference between the highest and lowest, I though Alaska would be much, much colder! Finances in Spain work for very few people right now, my concerns are shared by almost the entire population of the country.

      I am crossing my fingers for the fractal project and will blog about it if it comes true.

      Delete
  6. It is all looking a bit brighter now Ersi which is wonderful! I look forward to seeing where your muse and musings take you as you get the chance to do a little bit here, a little bit there...Go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have mentioned that finishing my alphabets for the A Letter A Week 2013 project are high priority! Things are looking brighter indeed and this autumn will be much sweeter than the summer. I'll need to take some days off everything by mid-September and then charge ahead to bring my ideas to life.

      Delete
  7. Hello Ersi, so touching to read how you are doing these days… after meeting you (sort of) every so often on flickr and pinterest. I always enjoy these encounters, as if a common interest is confirming itself. Looking forward to your next endeavours … and really, also writing about your situation in Spain is an authentic expression and i am glad you shared it.
    I also know these gloomy, unproductive, empty times. I am starting to see them as a part of the brood chamber.
    Looking forward to seeing you again on all these places we share :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ines, so glad to see you here! Blog reading and writing takes more time than viewing and pinning on Flickr and Pinterest. I used those sites as an 'escape exit' from my summer blues. Btw, I really like your expression 'brood chamber', it does describe my state of mind lately.
      There are indeed common interests in our work and your way of embodying them in your creations is very inspiring. See you around :)

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy your thought-provoking posts - this one is especially varied.
    I love the photos - especially to georgia and Listen to the Darkness. They seem to entice me in and offer glimpses of so much ... lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Charlton. I think I will soon be able to blog more about my art and less about my woes. It's great that you like these fractals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. E- I read how tough you guys are having as a country so I'm glad that in all that you can still find inspiration - just glad to see you in our blogging community. Love the bird triptych. Go well thinking of you. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barry. I have often thought about blogging on the Spanish crisis but that would take long and tedious explanations, since the situation is very complex. It's good to know that you read about it though, like a warm flicker of interest on the other side of the world. Inspiration dies hard, doesn't it? I hope I'll make the best of my ideas. See you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...