welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Tuesday, 29 October 2013

a home-made loom

I've started playing again and that's a healthy sign, I think. I spent October doing very little, a few sketches (I love sketching my cats), peaceful walks along country roads and quite a lot of reading. But it was only yesterday that I actually sat down to begin a project.


I had been meaning to make a simple, tiny loom for a long time. About a week ago, during one of my walks, I came upon this piece of wood that was just laying there, beside the road, waiting for me to pick it up. So I did.


I thought I could make a series of woven pendants and maybe a few tiny pouches. I can't be very specific, because my ideas usually take on life after I start working on them. The actual size of the weaving surface here is 10 x 15 cms (4 x 6 inches). As you can see, I hammered small nails in the wood, 0.5 cms apart.


Then I wound a length of crochet thread around the nails, going up and down and finally tying both ends to the lower edge nails.


I got carried away a bit taking pictures, because I was so happy with my makeshift loom! At the beginning I thought the piece of wood was much longer than necessary but when I started weaving I realised the extra length makes it easier to hold.


And then I started weaving, using a long embroidery needle as a shuttle. I even improvised a heddle of sorts with a stick I'd used to stir a pot of white acrylic.


Et voilà! My first finished pendant. It will hang from a strip of white leather, as you can see here. There are still a couple of problems to solve and I really have no idea how to go about it, since I've never tried jewellery before. At least not since my school craft days. I'd like to fasten the loops to the leather cord somehow, to hold the pendant in place and I still haven't figured out how to do that. Any ideas?

I am also wondering wether I should add some weight to the lower part of the pendant, so it will lay flat on the chest. Should I, really? And what kind of weight?

The long threads jotting out on all sides seemed fun, I still like them but they can be trimmed off easily. I'll sleep on it and see what happens.

This silly little pendant was just a first experiment. I'll make more, try different threads and colours, I think I'll even try weaving with silk ribbons and who knows what else may come up in the process.

I'm having fun again, a simple, naïve kind of fun and the longer the distance from this past terrible summer, the better I feel. Picking up strength. It's just as well, because this year's Art Market will open on 6 December and there's a lot to do.

16 comments:

  1. Ersi, this is so beautiful, and resonates with some of my thoughts and ideas. Textile pendant is always a challenge weight-wise, hope you will soon find solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm thrilled that you find it beautiful, I rather thought that it's too simple to catch the eye. It's also good to know that the weight problem is not just mine, hey, I am facing professional challenges here! I'll blog about the solution -if I find one.

      Delete
  2. I very much enjoyed this post, and am inspired to make a simple loom like yours. I am in a playing mode myself just now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those simple things can be so fulfilling! I hope you do make a loom and share your creations with us. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Ersi- This is a simply wonderful post! I love how your loom "found" you...that weather worn white..so you! The little pendant is very sweet. I love all the threads poking out...maybe a few well-placed beads..bone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bone! Now that's an idea! I haven't a clue where to find bones but it's worth looking into. And I love how you described my loom finding me, thank you Julie!

      Delete
  4. joli ! aussi pour intégrer dans un tableau...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting some great feedback and ideas here, thanks Elfi! I shall definitely try integrating some woven pieces in a tableau

      Je suis désolée mais mon Français a volatilizer aujourd'hui!

      Delete
  5. The pictures by themselves are lovely whatever the final results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you! I hate it when my pictures are inadequate so your comment means a lot :)

      Delete
  6. Hi E - I just love how the piece of wood was there for you; and that it suggested that you could do some tiny creative things. I love the way the pendant has worked out. So much potential for adding in bits and pieces - creating texture and focal points - I really think you are on to a winter with this both in terms of creativity and selling - lends itself also to woven cuff bracelets. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry, you just made my day! Not only am I happy that you like my little pendant but also that you think it can sell. I was hoping I could make a few for the upcoming Art Market. Now I know I definitely will.

      And yes, I need to add textures, etc. I plan on weaving with different materials, not necessarily threads and ribbons. I'll try including twigs, raffia, leather strips and maybe metal. Everything will be posted here.

      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  7. congratulations, as you said - it is a good sign just to be working again! i love your makeshift loom and am finding weaving to be very rewarding myself. working with fibers in general - the soft strength. well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary Jane, it's great to hear from you! I've seen your woven pendants, mine are not nearly as lovely but I love making them. It's a new world to explore and a very inviting one. 'The soft strength". I love those words.

      Delete
  8. a great little loom! Love the texture and lightness of the pendant and in your photographs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ines! Since my living room is my studio, tiny tools hold huge advantages. I'm delighted you like the pendant too. See you on Pinterest, Flickr, Blogger... :))

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...