welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Wednesday, 23 October 2013

marks on the parking lot

During summer I worked in the local Tourist Office, that's on the entrance to the village and right behind a large parking lot. Large by our small-village standards, that is. Dozens of cars and trucks park there, especially in summer and on weekends, since the narrow Medieval streets of the village are a pain to drive through and offer very few parking spots. Remember, Susan?

While I worked in the Tourist Office the parking lot, with the unending stream of cars driving in and out, was just a source of stress for me. But the other day I took a walk by there and it was completely empty. Luckily, I had my camera with me, because I suddenly discovered a new unending stream of abstract marks and compositions, left behind by the busy summer months. I clicked away, fascinated by the beauty of my discovery, and the result are about 30 photographs, many of which - to my eyes - look mostly like gestural calligraphy marks on the asphalt. I felt like sharing them here and I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I did. (Click on the first image so you can view a larger-sized sequence of them all.)


I never moved any of the objects to place them in a more 'convenient' way. I just walked around each 'composition' to find the best frame for shooting.


Dark rubber marks, probably left by the tires of a heavy truck. If I had made them with ink on paper, I would be proud of them.


Same marks, different composition. A friend immediately saw a tree here, another one saw a scorpion...


Little blackened stones and tire marks engraved onto the pavement. And a delightful ochre-coloured stain on the lower right corner of the image.


I wish I had painted this one...



I promise I didn't create this composition intentionally.


There is a Milky Way in the sky and an Inky Way under my feet...



Now if that isn't an F!






I also love the colour palette: blacks, whites, ochres and siennas.





This is one of my favourites...



Same leaf in both images. It was blown over by a passing car and went to rest next to a blot of asphalt.



A piece of paper run over and flattened by a truck...




Coffee stains, maybe?




Traces of the white paint used to mark the parking spaces...



There is a bus stop at the end of the parking lot. The sun projected the shadows of its methacrylate panels on the pavement.


And the photographer at work...

I'm still mostly quiet but seem to be recovering an artist's view on things. It's a good sign. Love you all.

6 comments:

  1. I"m fairly salivating as I sit here and view your parking lot abstracts. They are truly wonderful! Love the F and the chicken leg below it. Isn't it a great feeling to see again? I love taking shots of the cracked white paint of crosswalks on busy streets. Not the safest thing to do at times and many shots are not taken because of traffic. Still, I do manage to get a few every now and then.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chicken's leg, that's fantastic! I'm getting a bit hungry here. I'd love to see your risk-ridden road images. There's so much to discover in the street. Thank you, Jennifer!

      Delete
  2. These are all beautiful and peaceful and give no hint at all of the frenzy and noise of summer. I especially enjoyed the rubber tyre marks and the long thin spatter of paint. This will open my eyes in car parks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlton!I was surprised too by the feeling of peace there, after having experienced the summer madness. I definitely prefer this calm aftermath.

      Delete
  3. Ersi- Sorry I missed this with my absence..really quite beautiful markings...mystical even...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't worry, Julie, I also have been mostly offline lately. It's really great that you like these marks, 'mystical', hmm, I guess they can be. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...