welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Sunday, 3 November 2013

and now a paper pendant

I've been playing some more and, as usual, I go from one thing to another. Setting aside my tiny loom, I sat down and made a paper pendant.


I cut two rolls of card stock and coated them with rice paper previously stained with watercolours. My camera's battery died right after taking this shot and while it was re-charging I finished the pendant. No step-by-step photos here but I think it's obvious enough.


I wanted a bunch of threads to hang down from the pendant but when I actually tried them I didn't like them. I needed something sturdier, more playful, so finally I used some orange raffia yarn I had at home. Somehow, I wanted this pendant to be fun and bright.


Then I felt I'd better add a couple of orange stains to the rice paper, to match the raffia yarn. The leather strip goes through a little loop also made of raffia.


Oh, and I tied a strip of baker's twine around the loop too. The paper rolls are protected with a coat of clear matte paper sealant.

I recently bought a bunch of clasps and end caps to fasten the leather strips, so my pendants will be finished and ready when the material gets here.

A friend who saw this pendant yesterday told me outright that he didn't like it! I've licked my pride wounds by now and I'll just keep on making pendants. Woven, sewn, embroidered, papered or twigged. My game, my rules.

14 comments:

  1. Well, I think your pendant is beautiful, so you can just ignore your friend's opinion :) Truthfully, it's great to get all sorts of feedback from different people, but I still have problems taking it in. I keep telling myself the only opinion (aside my own) that matters is the opinion of the type of person I'm making a particular piece for, it doesn't matter if no one else gets it. Popular things are often a bit boring and/or generic, so let's stay interesting!

    Thanks for leaving your mark at paperiaarre again; I'll do my best not to fall of the face of the earth for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay! Thanks Kaija! I'm a toddler in jewelry, as you can see, and a helping hand is greatly appreciated. You are so right that popular things can be very boring, vive l' aventure"

      I dropped off the face of the earth for months, it happens to all of us sometimes. Reading your blog is always a pleasure.

      Delete
  2. I love this pendant! I love how you explore the materials in a very intimate way. The care of staining the paper with a bit of orange (and blue too?)...the precious little details of texture. Keep exploring and talk to more supportive friends (like Kaija!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my supportive friend! I admit I needed the pampering a bit. All this jewellery thing is new to me and though I may make something and feel convinced it's nice, other people's opinions count too.

      And yes, there's some light indigo blue in there, I forgot to mention it.

      Delete
  3. being a maker is a vulnerable venture - i am sorry your friend felt the need to tell you this. it's hard to hear. i like it, i like the playfulness of the pendant and i like how you did something different. you have an adventurous creative spirit - and so you will grow and learn things. you have balanced it wonderfully. you keep making what speaks for you - it's a wonderful thing to be able to do, especially when you are able to do it as well as you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heartfelt thanks, Mary Jane. Coming from you, so sensitive and gentle in your work, it really means a lot. I'm not trying to pose as a jeweller here (though who knows what the future holds, right?) but I thought I could make some handcrafted items for the Art Market that we'll be holding in December. I'm experimenting, playing, trying new things and -obviously- making mistakes. If you think it's nice and balanced, I consider this little pendant a real success!

      Delete
  4. I just love to see you make beautiful things so simply from things you find around you and the playful way you engage with your materials.
    It's really not only about the lovely little object but the process of your engagement. Keep exploring and making your sensitive little objects of imaginative things that speak to you. I feel privileged to be able to share these through your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you Jack! Your words just make me happy and eager to keep on playing. Making these pendants keeps me joyfully engaged while my mind roams through other areas of work. Ideas for more 'serious' collages come up, plans for contemporary embroidery work, three-dimentional paper objects and what not. I'll soon be posting some more pendants here. It's good to hear from you and thanks again!

      Delete
  5. I loved the final thought Ersi - my game, my rules! Making is such a wonderfully rewarding thing, and such a fragile thing. This pendant is just gorgeous - I love the resolution with the thread and I can see it worn with a white linen shirt and leather sandals easily! In the need, you just have to make what you make - and as you say all the other ideas that fly and springboard off it are extra value. If it gives you joy as you make, and settles your heart and mind - what's not to love about it anyway? Go well and keep on making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK you, Fiona! I am fortunate to have such wonderful, supportive blog friends. I love imagining someone dressed in white linen and sandals wearing this pendant, I think you nailed it. It is that kind of thing.

      Thanks for dropping in too, I know that these are extra-busy days for you. Looking forward to reading about your big success soon :)

      Delete
  6. oh Ersi, I don't visit her nearly often enough. I adore your work...it's perfection. The wedding was beautiful. I cried and then cried some more and then even a little bit more!!
    http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen! I appreciate that you've taken the time to visit my blog in spite of your jetlag :) Thank you for your lovely words on my work. Never mind visiting often, I know how things are. I read your blog regularly but rarely comment, how ugly is that? I'm happy for you, crying and all. All weddings should be like that, exciting, blissful and emotional. Take care!

      Delete
  7. I love your paper pendant.. it is so light and airy and playful.. and made by you for you and no one else...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna! You put a big smile on my face. I really enjoy playing with my fragile paper pendants but of course I love it when other people like them too. I think I should take a picture of myself wearing it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...