welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Tuesday, 19 November 2013

green tomatoes and a silver moon

Back online after several days with a maddeningly bad Internet connection. You see, we had our first snow of the season! It was beautiful and a big surprise, we don't usually get autumn snows in Spain. I woke up on Saturday morning and the first thing I noticed was the silence. A deep, filling silence. I thought there was something wrong with my hearing. As soon as I opened the windows though I saw the reason why. The world was a soft, silent, white place. And it was still snowing.


I didn't take any pictures, I wasn't in the mood. I rather felt like enjoying the sight live. This shot is from another snowfall but still, this is part of the sight from the balcony and things were very similar. The snow kept till Monday, when it started raining long and hard and it finally melted away. The weather forecast predicts more snow for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.


Where I did take pictures was on a mountain excursion I took with a friend on Friday. At about 1,000 mts high (3,000 feet) it was bitterly cold but we had fun anyway. The clean mountain air is a treat (not that the air is contaminated where I live) and the bright atmosphere of that windy day made distant ridges appear very near.


Xavi, my friend, grows his own vegetables up there and we busied ourselves picking the tomatoes. They were still green but they would freeze if we left them there. We picked three boxes like the one in the picture and, as it turns out, they make delicious marmelade. I had no idea.


I had to take my gloves off every time I took a photo. The white outline of these lovely leaves is natural, not a frosty embrace.

But the real treat of the day was on our way back. It was early evening and the sun was setting. Its last rays


fell on those rocks just as the moon came up from behind them. Isn't it amazing? I'd never witnessed such a magical moment before. It was a bright silver moon balancing itself on the edge of the rocks.


Did anyone else think 'Japanese' here?

I have made more paper pendants but haven't photographed them yet. I feel very frustrated with my woven pendants though. The first one was fun and turned out well. The second was a complete failure. I'm moving on to other things and I'll go back to weaving when I get my ideas straight.

If I disappear again, it means we've had more snow and my Internet has gone to the beach. Have a nice week everyone!

10 comments:

  1. What an amazing photo, how lucky to be there at such a magical moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those gifts of nature, unexpected and gorgeous. We were speachless. Thanks, Debbie!

      Delete
  2. It looks beautiful Ersi, even if it is a bit early. Hope it does mean a severe winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great to have you here, Amanda! Thanks for dropping in and for your wish. Most people here don't like winter and it's hard to find someone with whom to share my love for this season. If we do have a severe winter, there will be many more photos of it.

      Delete
  3. wow.... snow & a full-moon rise. What a treat! I love to photograph the moon as she rises or sets & no matter how many times I witness it, It's always magical. I must get back to blogging about that. I love the snow & ice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last weekend was as full as the moon :)) We got blasting winds, unexpected snow, heavy rain, a silver moon and, well... green tomatoes. Thanks for dropping in, Suzi!

      Delete
  4. E - that does look cold - F and I are headed to NY in early Dec - I wonder how we will cope with the cold. Amazing photo of the rocks, sunlight and moon against a blue sky. The green tomatoes would also make great relish. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barry! The snow has gone but it is still bitterly cold, the temperatures stay below zero in the shadow all day long. I'm afraid New York won't be much better but there are so many fascinating things to do and see there in spite of the cold. Have a wonderful time!

      Delete
  5. I was so busy traveling for work for a couple months that I wasn't keeping up with posts and wondered what you were up to. These photos are wonderful! Makes me want to travel to your mountains, bundled up in lovely knitted scarves and a woolen coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitted scarves and woolen coat would really be necessary but you'd enjoy the mountains enormously! Maybe you can make it here sometime, Cindi.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...