welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Sunday, 26 January 2014

block paper pendant

I wasn't planning on writing a blog entry this evening but I can't tear myself away from the computer. Obviously, that's not the best plan for a Sunday evening. To my defense, I must say that it's been a warm, sunny day, the first in weeks, and that I spent most of it outdoors. Back home I started checking my mail, my shop, Twitter, Pinterest and... you get it. I dropped by my blog to answer a comment and suddently felt compelled to write something.

Fortunately, there is one little thing I can write about. A paper pendant I hadn't shown you yet. Today the natural light was perfect for taking photographs and photographs I took.


I call this a 'block pendant' and it's made with three strips that I cut out from a small watercolour and ink painting, with some acrylic gesso brushstrokes on top. Each strip of painted paper was then mounted on a block of cardboard. The sides and back are also painted with white gesso.


You can see it a bit better here. The pendant hangs from a stainless steel wire necklace that fastens with a twist clasp. I really like the way it turned out. This series of pendants keeps surprising me, because I'd never thought of making jewellery before. (Hmm, I think you already knew that...) When my own work ends up surprising me, it's a good thing. It's like a door that suddenly opens to an unexpected view. I'm thinking of Alice in Wonderland again. Lots of doors opening and closing there, lots of passages to startling new places. Alice opened many roads that weren't there before by just walking to the end of her tale.

Curiouser and curiouser, my friends.

10 comments:

  1. This pendant is really lovely, Ersi, beautifully made. I love the way your doors are opening... Keep searching, everything you have done so far has been right for you. I think there is no end to the lovely things you can explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This strange journey along creativity always renders lovely results, in spite of the occassional bumps on the road. I'm happy you like the pendant, Carol. I hope many others agree with you :) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I love your new series of paper pendants, Ersi! (And I can relate to the joy of having precious days of natural light for photographing - I had my first truly joyful studio photography session in a while yesterday as well.) Here's to surprises & mysterious doors full of promising journeys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A toast to magical mystery tours, art-induced of course! Delighted you love the pendant, thanks so much, Lisa. Today it's dark and windy again, but then it's winter, when home really feels like a refuge. I like that feeling.

      Delete
  3. How lovely this is ... and what a wonderful thought. 'Walking to the end of the tale' How well this describes creativity, except I hope you never reach the end and that there are always new creative surprises to be found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlton! I think we're all walking along similar paths that are not too far apart. They probably criss-cross often too. I guess I'll reach the end when... the end comes. Or maybe not even then?

      Delete
  4. my daughter loved Alice in wonderland as a child and even now she is grown loves it just the same. My beautiful, precious piece of your art arrived. I adore it....thank you x
    http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok! Doing a somersault here -for the bookmark, that is. I am so happy that you like it up close, Karen, and it is me who must thank you for your lovely words.

      Alice in Wonderland is a tale for children and grown-ups alike, I think. I have a very special British edition that I cherish and it still looks like new, though I bought it back in the nineties. I practically wear gloves to read it :) xx

      Delete
  5. E - I love the concept of paper jewellery - such a temporary and striking thing - and can be recycled - part of the challenge is getting folk to see it is worth investing in something that is temporary and committing to letting it go once it has done its time - in an ageing way. Go well with this venture. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barry! Your opinion is very important, as you can imagine :) Most of my paper pendants are quite resilient actually, the most delicate ones are the 'curly' pendants. The calligraphy pendant (curly) was sold at the Art Market and I know it's still in excellent shape. But thanks to your comment, I will re-write my presentations in the shop to stress the fact that these paper thingies can last for a long time.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...