welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Saturday, 4 January 2014

some things old, some things new

I'm never one to make new year's resolutions or thorough balances of the year past. I really don't believe much in either, mainly because I know I won't keep any resolutions just to fulfill a task and that I am perfectly capable of repeating past mistakes. The time is ripe to set mistakes aside or to put our energy into new projects when our hearts and souls are ready for it. I am not a big fan of willpower, you see. I do believe in our intimate desire. Willpower is mental and can easily become a bully and a dictator. Our desire comes from deep within and expresses our most cherished wishes and longings in life. I am talking about the way we intimately wish to live our lives.

http://atticpapers.bigcartel.com/product/rusty-bookmark-i

However, I will go through the past year a bit because I feel (rather than know, no certainties here) that it marked a turning point in my life. 2013 was not a good year. It was burdened with problems and frustrations, wanderings through rocky deserts and a sense of ending. This last part may well be the most promising one, though I can only feel that now, at the end of the ending.

http://atticpapers.bigcartel.com/product/rusty-bookmark-ii

The year curiously started out satisfactorily. I prepared my 'paper homes' solo exhibition, that was held in Zaragoza in May. The works were later exhibited in the Antigua Fabrica Noguera, our local Exhibition Hall. I had lovely positive feedback in both venues and finally sold three pieces. The remaining ones are now in the dining room of a beautiful rural hotel nearby, La Font del Pas. This body of work has a deeper meaning for me and I was delighted that the public liked it so much.

http://atticpapers.bigcartel.com/product/rusty-bookmark-iii

The summer months were part of the rocky deserts I walked through and would rather not revisit ever again. In autumn though I started preparing work for the second edition of our Art Market and slowly started feeling myself again. Less alienated, more confident. I still have to show you what I made for the Market since, as I mentioned in a previous entry, I worked till the very last minute and had no time to take proper photographs of my work.


The Art Market will end tomorrow, Sunday. It has not been a great success though the works displayed there, by seven of the eleven artists that form our Group 'Roots', are varied, interesting and beautiful. But we live in Spain and times are hard. The harsh reality rules over beauty. We are not giving up, I am not giving up. Now, more than ever, I am determined to go on.


This last statement is the nearest to a new year's resolution. It's not born out of necessity (though necessity is certainly there) but out of desire. This is what I wish to dedicate my time to. My art. 2014 has to be a meaningful, happy year. Not heavenly happy but down-to-earth, reality-proof happy. Creatively happy.


ATTIC PAPERS, my online shop is having a slow start but it is a start. Two artworks have been sold so far and I recently added this series of bookmarks featured here. They are high-quality prints from fragments of my rusted papers. These originals are also on sale in the shop, as well as some of my white [paper] on white [paper] series.

I made some changes in the shop design and changed the prices to euros. I hope it will not be a great inconvenience for those interested in buying. Each one of them only needs to check the currency rate once, in fact, PayPal will do it automatically for them, while, with my prices in US dollars, I had to check the rates daily to find out how much I was selling for!

I now have the time and enough peace of mind to keep working. My next post will probably be about my projects, some already overdue but still possible, and my current work.

May 2014 be meaningful and reality-proof happy for all of you.

16 comments:

  1. I love your book marks, especially the ones containing lettering - so simple and effective.
    I hope 2014 will bring you what you describe - creative, down-to-earth, realistic happiness. That sounds like a very good life hope to me ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlton, it's great that you love my bookmarks, very encouraging, and I do appreciate your good wishes. I need them too! May your 2014 be happy and deeply satisfying.

      Delete
  2. Hi E - 2013 is a good one to have behind as 2014 offers opportunities - so let us hope that it is good for both of us. Love what you are doing with the bookmarks. Hoping that the shop takes off - can be slow in the beginning. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let us hope that it will be a good year for both of us, and Fiona too. As for 2013... I say good riddance. My very best wishes for a 2014 full of sweet surprises!

      I know the shop will take its time, especially as I have to take care of promoting it solo. I'm really pleased you like this work, it boosts my confidence. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Good luck in 2014.
    I enjoyed reading this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! It's lovely to know that you enjoyed my bitter-sweet musings. Have a beautiful new year and thanks for dropping in!

      Delete
  4. Hi Ersi! I think the less said about last year the better, but I do feel myself that I learnt some valuable lessons and maybe, just maybe, there will be some future benefit. Nonetheless, everyone around me had tough years too, and we are all feeling very positive about making 2014 much better, if we possibly can.
    So, I wish you luck and courage, great creativity and joy for the coming year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, just having you here has given me moments of real joy. I've been reading your blog entries and I know that 2013 is better left behind for you too. I am joining in the general good will for 2014, I'll put my efforts and my energy in it. I also wish you strength, good luck and a fulfilling new year! xx

      Delete
  5. yes, may 2014 be meaningful and filled with reality-proof-happiness, as you wish, and may there also be space for causeless joy and playful folly :-) - all the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'll have the causeless joy and playful folly dish daily, please :))

      Delete
  6. I wish you so many smiles for 2014. I have always loved your work, how you make marks. I just bought one of your beautiful bookmarks but I shan't be using it as a bookmark, I will place it in a special cabinet with my other treasures.
    http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, what a wonderful surprise! Thank you very much! I was in the kitchen for a quick late snack and I found the message in my inbox. I'm thrilled you decided to buy my bookmark and to keep it as a treasure :))) Your wish for the new year is perfect. A smile is always a sign that things go well. So I wish you many cheerful smiles right back! xx

      Delete
  7. I love how you said that willpower can become a bully and a dictator! You have an amazing way with words Ersi and I love this post. Actually REALLY loved your last post and sent through a long comment - don't know what happened to it? For many of us 2013 was a tough one and I hope for you, and for me, both of us horses and both of us having significant birthday's this year, that this year of the horse will be a great one for us both. I think your bookmarks are gorgeous, and will look forward to hearing about, and then seeing, what you have planned for your creative 2014. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so, so good to hear from you Susan. I've been thinking a lot of you and your share of "tough" lately. ("Tough" with quotation marks, because being a hard word as it is, sometimes reality almost makes it sound like a euphemism.) I checked my spam folder for any lost comment of yours but there is none, what a pity. I'd love to be able to read it.

      So, we are both horses cantering into a new age! May our horsepower be a fine substitute for wicked willpower ;) Thank you dearly. xxx

      Delete
  8. Ersi, I'm a horse too. When I was a child I was very disappointed not to be a monkey or dragon, but I guess I got over it. I feel I'm in good company with you and Susan. I trust 2014 will be far better for you, full of creativity, love and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol! May 2014 be a great year for you too. I had forgotten my Chinese sign till Susan mentioned it, now I also feel in good company. I'll do my best to make this year better. xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...