welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Monday, 14 July 2014

adventures to come - in a journal form

I keep meaning to share some shots of my work-in-progress for the Personal Histories project and I also keep avoiding it. Something is not quite in place yet. I am not talking about the physical elements in the work but rather about the heaps of ideas and emotions that the title stirred in me and that required a long, complicated process of clearing and sorting out. A bit like opening a path through a thick jungle.

Because, Robyn: What a title! I could cover the distance from Spain to Australia with pages from a book on my personal history. Fortunately, logic prevailed and I decided on a much more abbreviated version of the vertigo that can be anyone's life story. More to come on the subject when I finally decide to share those WIP shots with you all.

In the meantime, I've been creating some small works, most of them for my shop, and a few just for the fun of it. If you've read my previous post, you can guess that fun was a scarce commodity around here lately.


What I'm showing you here today are a few scanned images of the covers of a journal I decided to start. Being a serious and ordered girl, I started with the covers, of course. This is the stainy, rainy look of decoloured silk cloth on cardboard.


A light wash of acrylic ink on the corner because, as you already know, I can't leave well enough alone.


The journal has 22 sheets (that's 44 pages) with alternate sheets of tissue paper and, knowing me, it will be a long time before I finish it. Each page is 24.5 x 25 cms (9.7 x 9.9 inches) and the journal will be spiral bound.


This is the back cover (nothing really new here, I just felt like sharing it too) and this particular scan looks a bit oversaturated. The ochre-yellow colour of the other images is much closer to the real thing.


The initial idea is to record here many of the chaotic, half-forgotten moments and impressions of my personal history that cannot fit into my work for the project. There may be overwhelming moments ahead, believe me. I take memories very seriously. Let's see if I can sort through them with a sense of humour.


The covers are not finished though I may have to wait till after I've worked on some of the inside pages to get back to them. Some sort of title? An image maybe? Or a brutal tear on the silk? Expect anything. I do too.

14 comments:

  1. Intriguing Ersi. You have me yearning to reach thru the computer to touch the silky layers. I'm very curious what the inside pages will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, I'm curious too :-) There will probably be ink drawings, lots of text here and there, some collage and some monotypes. The trick is how to bring it all together nicely. I even wish I could get rid of this 'nicely' on some pages. Thanks, Jennifer.

      Delete
  2. Yes, Ersi, the covers are very tactile, and quite beautiful with the watered look of moiré silk. No matter how long it takes, take the time you need and above all things, find the joy in doing it. It's a lovely start to a new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'No matter how long it takes...' What a wonderful sentence! I need to work on this journal with joy, just as you say, not with a sense of duty. We'll see what happens.

      The silk is not moiré, by the way, it only looks that way as a result of the decolouring. xx

      Delete
  3. I love the covers. Now I'm looking forward to seeing what you do inside it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello jac and thank you! The content still intimidates me so I'll take it easy. This will be my first ever serious journal project. Omg!

      Delete
  4. Ιδιαίτερο χρώμα και ωραία υφή!!! Αναρωτιέμαι τι θα έχει το περιεχόμενο!!! Καλή συνέχεια!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Σ' ευχαριστώ Κικί! Προς το παρόν, κι εγώ αναρωτιέμαι, χε χε. Χάρηκα που σε είδα εδώ.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean the PH title Ersi - big eek! Still it is interesting to observe how we are all responding to it. Have fun with your journal - I have found I love the idea of a gorgeous journal, but that I just can't do it. I hope you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May your hope - and mine - come true! The very idea of a journal intimidates me but I decided that it doesn't need to be a coherent sequence of -whatever. Just splashes of life, thoughts and art. Btw, it's good to know that the PH thing is eeky for you too :-)

      Delete
  6. Hello Ersi,
    It's interesting that others as well as yourself are finding the PH project initially inspiring and then being overwhelmed by it. Is it the "Personal" bit I wonder that is daunting or just the amount of "History" to be sorted through in order to find an outcome? I hope you find your way through the maze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, it's probably one of the best ideas from which to create art! But 'best' usually comes in hand with 'overwhelming'. We feel like we need to meet those best standards of the subject and intimidation kicks in. At least in my case. The 'Personal' part made me go through my entire life again and again, asking myself questions, not knowing the answers, failing my own test. But I will find my way through the maze and I do thank you for the challenge!

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry that it's been so long since I've been blog-visiting - and was so sorry to read about the string of tragedies near & dear to you in your previous post.
    The beautiful covers you've shown us in this entry seem to be holding the promise of much thinking, creating & growing... There's nothing like an "investment" of this kind in our creative-emotional lives, and I hope this starting point proves to be a very positive thing for you, Ersi. Making a "place" to keep all of the process/overflow, etc. of a project is such a great idea, and I'm sure you will value it as much as your final piece for "Personal Histories." Enjoy the journey : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lisa! I've been away from blogland myself for a long time, so no worries. The mourning period(s) seems to be staying behind and I hope it will not show its sad head again in a long time. Though still with difficulties, I am working on the PH project and setting aside ideas for the journal too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...