welcome!

Whether you've reached this blog willingly or by force I'm happy to have you here.
ersi marina's workroom is always open to the public, even when I am not in. Sometimes I need to sleep.
And to paint.
And to play with my four cats.
My name is Ersi Marina and I live in Spain though I was born and grew up in Athens, Greece. I kept it all very Mediterranean.
This blog is a means to share my work and snippets of my life, as well as to be in contact with you all. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Thursday, 7 August 2014

injured cat, call for help

Hello everyone! This is an urgent call for help. Some of you may remember from previous posts that I look after a group of street cats that live near my home. Looking after them basically means that I feed them and deworm them when necessary. Sadly, I can't really protect them from the many dangers looming over them in the street. Passing cars, dogs, downpours (two kittens almost drowned to death a couple of months ago while I was watching the pouring rain from my apartment, marvelling at its beauty and power!)


This is a photo of one of the male cats. He's a sweet, cuddly animal about a year and a half old. I can't be sure about his age. Someone abandoned him right in front of the apartment building last autumn (they actually abandoned three cats, two females and this little dear) and they all seemed to be about seven or eight months old back then.

When I went down with their food this morning I found this young male lying in the makeshift shelter I made for them last year, mainly to protect their food from the rain and the sun. He couldn't move. When I tried to move him he started crying out in pain. I panicked. It took me several moments to calm down and think what I could do for him -if anything.


He can't move the rear part of his body without severe pain, the front part seems to be ok. I felt his body very gently and could not feel anything like a broken or dislocated bone but I didn't dare press harder with my fingers. I think maybe he was hit by a car? I gave him some water and he drank heartily, I thought that was a good sign.

I went up home and fetched a thin wooden board, the backside of a large picture frame actually. I managed to slowly slide the board under his body (oh, I did hurt him a bit, in spite of all my efforts) and then, using the board as a stretcher of sorts, took him up to my apartment. I couldn't just leave him in such a helpless state in the street, I would be condemning him to a long, painful agony.

He is now lying on a flat cushion in my small storeroom. He hasn't had any water or food since noon (it's almost half past six in the afternoon now) but he's calm and seems to be napping most of the time. He purrs happily when I go in to see him. Every time he tries to move though he still cries out in pain.

I called the veterinarian and she recommended an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medicine. What he really needs though is a visit to the vet's, some x-rays and probably some additional tests. The trouble is, I can't afford all that. It could easily go up to 300 euros or more. So I added a PayPal Donate button to my blog, very easy to locate. It's the first one up on the right-hand column. If you feel inclined to help save this sweet, affectionate young cat, please click on the button. The quantity you choose to contribute is up to you, even one dollar or one euro would count, and I would deeply appreciate any help. Needless to say, he would too!

*You do not need to have a Pay Pal account to donate, just click on the button and Pay Pal will do the rest.*

I will let you all know how things are going and I will remove the button immediately as soon as I have the money necessary for his care. This call for help is meant for him and only for him.

I hope that our joined efforts will help save the life of this young cat. Thank you all so very much!

2 comments:

  1. Done, Ersi, not a huge amount but I hope it helps. You are so kind to be helping the street cats, I do hope this little fellow makes it. Love to you and the little cat. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you are an angel! Please excuse my naïve enthusiasm but your help means so much, not only in terms of money but also because I feel less alone in this. Thank You!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...